[SOLVED] In search of a motherboard

rustypixel

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
The last time I built a PC was back in 2014 and this forum was very helpful. I have gotten the itch to build a new rig and I'm coming back here seeking help and suggestions. I'm not one to keep up with the latest news and products for PCs so, for the most part, a lot of this is like starting fresh. Now, don't get me wrong, my last build was also my first build and, going against everyone's advice, I went with a full custom water loop and I even got brave enough to de-lid my CPU, so I'm not scared to play around with the toys. The rig has been working beautifully but this time around I want to go for more of an aesthetic build with good power to carry me for another 8+ years.
I don't want this to be long so here is what is fact so far:
Low-key gamer. I play only FPS and, specifically, Battlefield. at the most, I'll spend approx. 15-ish hours a week playing. Give or take. My longest single sessions are about 2 - 3 hours. I do everything else on my Mac so the rig is 100% strictly for gaming.
My chosen case is a Lian Li O11 Mini. CPU will be Ryzen 7 5800x. The GPU I plan to go with is an RTX 3080 (maybe a 3090 if I want to spend more). The MB I have on my list (as of now) is the ASUS Prime X570 Pro.
The thing I'm curious about is, I'd love to fit the AIO at the top of the case which isn't doable with an ATX MB. So, seeing you're all the experts, what micro ATX or even ITX board would be a good recommendation? I'm not afraid to spend more where it counts so don't skip out on any pricier MB suggestions of the'd "fit" my needs. Oh, and I prefer a white MB but it's not a deal breaker.
Thanks in advance for an suggestions. It's all appreciated.

Solution
You expressed an interest in mATX or mini-ITX so I'm not sure why you have the Prime X570 Pro on your list as it's ATX. The only reason to be interested in X570 is if you have need of more gen 4 PCIe lanes for add-in devices.

I'd suggest an mATX board because there aren't many good mini-ITX candidates that aren't extremely costly. The two best mATX would be MSI's B550m Mortar or Asus TUF B550m Gaming Plus. Either are available in a Wifi option too, if that's important.

You really don't have to spend a massive amount on a Ryzen motherboard as they're highly efficient processors, these are reasonably priced in the non-WiFi. They're also not all that glammed up with forced RGB goodness but they do have the headers if you want to add...
You expressed an interest in mATX or mini-ITX so I'm not sure why you have the Prime X570 Pro on your list as it's ATX. The only reason to be interested in X570 is if you have need of more gen 4 PCIe lanes for add-in devices.

I'd suggest an mATX board because there aren't many good mini-ITX candidates that aren't extremely costly. The two best mATX would be MSI's B550m Mortar or Asus TUF B550m Gaming Plus. Either are available in a Wifi option too, if that's important.

You really don't have to spend a massive amount on a Ryzen motherboard as they're highly efficient processors, these are reasonably priced in the non-WiFi. They're also not all that glammed up with forced RGB goodness but they do have the headers if you want to add yours.

These have the two best VRM sections in AM4 mATX, they promise cool operation even with 5950X CPU's so your 5800X will be easy going for them. Conventional Overclocking of Ryzen 5000 is same as Ryzen 3000: pointless. But excellent CPU cooling rewards with the CPU boosting more eagerly with the superior temperature control; it's almost like overclocking on it's own when you use PBO w/curve optimizer.

Last edited:
Solution