Hi,

I just got a USB flash drive and I'm in search of a backup utility that
will do the following:

1.save the files onto the flash drive in a file structure similar to
how they are laid out in MS explorer as opposed to putting things onto
the flash drive in one big back up file (like the MS Backup utility or
Genie Backup do; this way I can just go grab individual files off the
flash drive rather than have to restore the entire backup file).

2. allow me to save the back up profile in such a manner that I only
need click on a desktop icon and the same folders get backed up each
time.

3. allow incremental backups so each backup only archives what has been
changed since the last back up.

Any suggestions on programs for that?

Thanks,
YYY

Maxtor OneTouch II
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB

Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77

Where to Buy
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Yeahyeahyeah" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I just got a USB flash drive and I'm in search of a backup utility that
| will do the following:
|
| 1.save the files onto the flash drive in a file structure similar to
| how they are laid out in MS explorer as opposed to putting things onto
| the flash drive in one big back up file (like the MS Backup utility or
| Genie Backup do; this way I can just go grab individual files off the
| flash drive rather than have to restore the entire backup file).
|
| 2. allow me to save the back up profile in such a manner that I only
| need click on a desktop icon and the same folders get backed up each
| time.
|
| 3. allow incremental backups so each backup only archives what has been
| changed since the last back up.
|
| Any suggestions on programs for that?
|
| Thanks,
| YYY

Hi Carey,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I may have not explained
myself properly or I'm misunderstanding the links you posted: I'm
looking for a program that will help me backup onto th flash drive.
Your links appear to be for external drives.

Please let me know if I'm confusing anything (and if you know any
backup programs I can use).

Thanks,
YYY

Yeahyeahyeah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a USB flash drive and I'm in search of a backup utility that
> will do the following:
>
> 1.save the files onto the flash drive in a file structure similar to
> how they are laid out in MS explorer as opposed to putting things onto
> the flash drive in one big back up file (like the MS Backup utility or
> Genie Backup do; this way I can just go grab individual files off the
> flash drive rather than have to restore the entire backup file).

This one loses me, I'm afraid. Every flash drive I use is seen by
Windows as just another drive. I can (and do) create folders, in which
case I have a "structure", and I can access any file, in any folder,
using Explorer. Am I misunderstanding you?

Sorry. I'm probably not explaining myself correctly...

While I know that I can simply treat the flash unit as another drive
and move things back and forth, my original question was about an
automated backup program (like the MS backup utility or Genie Backup).
Rather than manually transferring or each modified file onto the flash
drive i was looking for a program that would allow me to hit one button
and all the new or modified files (in pre-selected folders/directories)
would automatically be transferred onto the flash drive. This is
exactly what the MS backup utility already does **however** that
program stores everything on the flash drive in a single HUMONGOUS file
that is accessed by a "restore" function. I want a program that will do
the same thing as the MS backup utility but store the files in a
directory structure that mirrors what's already on my primary drive.

I hope that makes more sense. If not please forgive my inner dweeb.

Thanks.
YYY

Yeahyeahyeah wrote:
> Sorry. I'm probably not explaining myself correctly...
>
> While I know that I can simply treat the flash unit as another drive
> and move things back and forth, my original question was about an
> automated backup program (like the MS backup utility or Genie Backup).
> Rather than manually transferring or each modified file onto the flash
> drive i was looking for a program that would allow me to hit one button
> and all the new or modified files (in pre-selected folders/directories)
> would automatically be transferred onto the flash drive. This is
> exactly what the MS backup utility already does **however** that
> program stores everything on the flash drive in a single HUMONGOUS file
> that is accessed by a "restore" function. I want a program that will do
> the same thing as the MS backup utility but store the files in a
> directory structure that mirrors what's already on my primary drive.
>
> I hope that makes more sense. If not please forgive my inner dweeb.
>
> Thanks.
> YYY

If that is all you want to do just use XCOPY. Once you set up a batch
file to move the proper directories it is very fast. It is easy to set
up the switches to only copy newer files and to copy a directory and all
of it's subdirectories.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

YYY

DataMills, Relative Rev Backup for Workstation
Unattended Incremental Versioned Backup to Disk.
http://www.datamills.com

It does everything you are asking for...
(Unattended operation (scheduling of backup runs, and clearing older
backups), It works in incremental mode minimizing backup space and
time. You can set up exactly which files folders you want to backup, or
restore. You will not have to restore the entire backup, just for
recovering a single file.)