In the Market for a GPU Upgrade

shapeshiftedcow

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Hey all,

As the title states I'm looking at a GPU upgrade. My rig has served me well for several years now, but the GPU in particular seems to be falling behind the AAA curve. Here's the details:

MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Processor: I7 4820k 3.7GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600mHz
GPU: Dual GTX 760 (not sure on VRAM anymore, sorry)
PSU: Corsair TX 750
Monitors: Dell U2414M (Primary), Dell 2408WFP (Secondary, browsing + Hulu/Netflix/etc), AOC 2757 (offset, rarely used but always connected)

I'm not looking to push the boundaries, play the most hardware intensive titles at the highest resolutions or anything like that. I'm content with 60fps gaming at 1920x1200 (or 1080), at medium to high settings on your average game from the past 2-4 years. Never really got around to using my current GPU setup in SLI. I am interested but not yet sold on a Vive, and I understand that would put certain constraints on my options. I haven't really kept up with the specific ins and outs of the market since I haven't needed to buy anything, but I understand a 1060 at the least is needed for VR. Open to any and all suggestions and any insight about possible bottlenecks in my current hardware.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Your system is still up to pretty much any task you want, but yeah you need a new videocard. A GTX 760 is similar to a GTX 950 which is just behind a GTX 1050. That's why a 1060 should be the least you upgrade to, a 1050 Ti is too small a jump in performance. Forget about SLI. I'm not into VR but my general understanding is GPU performance is even more important there, since any lag is literally in your face. My feeling is if you can afford to jump into VR then you can afford a 1070.
Your system is still up to pretty much any task you want, but yeah you need a new videocard. A GTX 760 is similar to a GTX 950 which is just behind a GTX 1050. That's why a 1060 should be the least you upgrade to, a 1050 Ti is too small a jump in performance. Forget about SLI. I'm not into VR but my general understanding is GPU performance is even more important there, since any lag is literally in your face. My feeling is if you can afford to jump into VR then you can afford a 1070.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
The GTX 1060 6GB is probably the most balanced approach for your system. But the GTX 1070 wouldn't be out of bounds either. Especially if you have the urge to move the 1440p some day soon.

The AMD RX-580 8GB would be another good contender in place of the 1060 if you want to go the red route. And the Vega 56 (if you can find one) would be a good 1070 equivalent.