Question In the market for a new monitor. Need advice

l0t3k

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new monitor. with prime day going on right now I know I have seen a few good deals but I'm still torn about what I should go with. I am on a budget and do not want to spend any more then $250 unless I am getting a huge upgrade by spending lets say $25 more then i do not mind.

First off let me start by telling you my PC specs:

Laptop: Alienware 17 R4
CPU: Intel i7 6700 HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHZ

I will be using the monitor for mostly gaming via PC and Xbox One S. I play all types of games it all depends on the flavor of the week however when I do get into something I can get deeply competitive.

I definitely find 27" to be my sweet spot anything other than that is either to small or to large so I want to stick with that size.

So here is a few of things that I am torn about...

1. 1080P at a solid 120-144 FPS or 1440P at anywhere from 60-80 FPS. As stated above I can be very competitive so will the FPS drop I'm bound to have on a 1440P really take away the slight advantage i would be getting at 1080P. I know skill plays a larger roll than FPS but i do think about things like this.

2. Response time. I know most gaming monitors advertise as 1ms however I also know if you look at a lot of manufacturers websites the response time is listed as 4-5ms GTG and 1ms MPRT or MBR (mostly VA and IPS panels) is this a scam or are these response times just as good if not better then what you might get on a TN panel?

3. Freesync and Gsync. Ehhhh... I dont even know what to say about this one. I know what they do but still.

Some of the monitors i am currently looking at:

1. MSI Optix MAG27C 27" Full HD 144Hz DVI HDMI DP FreeSync Curved Gaming LED Monitor (Bought a week ago but have 30 days to return)

2. LG 27GL650F-B 27 Inch Full HD Ultragear Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and HDR 10

3. MSI Optix MAG271CQR 27" 2560 x 1440 144Hz HDMI DP FreeSync Curved LED Gaming Monitor

Sorry for such a long post just trying to take advantage of these sales. I'm not heart set on the 3 monitors above so please any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

ASK THE COMMUNITY