[SOLVED] In urgent need of help with bent pins!

Kvnnon

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
My brand new parts shipped. only for me to find that the pins on my 3600 shipped bent. Upon the retailer's failure to replace it, I straightened the pins. I straightened all the pins but one broke off, but i decided to try anyway. It didn't post and no mobo post-code lights turned on :(. However, I have a 2300x from another build, so I swapped it to see if it was the cpu. It also didn't post, with the mobo post-code lights indicating a RAM error. I have verified that the RAM works fine. Is it the 3600 or the mobo? I can try putting the broken pin in the socket and booting like that. HELP!!!!!!

Solution
Asus B450-F
Unless there is a label on the box specifically mentioning support for Ryzen 3000 processors, I would assume you will need to update the motherboard's BIOS while the 2300X is installed before being able to boot the 3600, since that model of motherboard came out before 3rd-gen Ryzen launched, and doesn't include the ability to flash the BIOS without an already-supported CPU. So, the 3600 won't likely boot until that's been done, assuming it even can boot with the damaged pin, that is.
I can try putting the broken pin in the socket and booting like that.
This is something that might work too. It's very possible that the processor pressed against its pin will be enough to properly form a connection. I would hardly say that the CPU is necessarily unusable at this point.

What are the complete specs of this system? There could potentially be some other reason for the system having trouble booting, even with the 2300X.

Kvnnon

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
This is something that might work too. It's very possible that the processor pressed against its pin will be enough to properly form a connection. I would hardly say that the CPU is necessarily unusable at this point.

What are the complete specs of this system? There could potentially be some other reason for the system having trouble booting, even with the 2300X.
Asus B450-F
Apex Gaming 650W PSU (I am trying another build to test if it is this)
16gb Corsair Vengenace Ram @3000Mhz
GTX 1080
I think it is the mobo or psu, currently testing both

Asus B450-F
Unless there is a label on the box specifically mentioning support for Ryzen 3000 processors, I would assume you will need to update the motherboard's BIOS while the 2300X is installed before being able to boot the 3600, since that model of motherboard came out before 3rd-gen Ryzen launched, and doesn't include the ability to flash the BIOS without an already-supported CPU. So, the 3600 won't likely boot until that's been done, assuming it even can boot with the damaged pin, that is.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not really since the 2300X also would not boot.

More than likely bent pins on the processor and even broke one off then tried to boot with it and did not get all the pins correct so fried the board also.

Not really since the 2300X also would not boot.
They already mentioned getting the 2300X to post with some other other RAM, probably from the other system they borrowed it from.

Worth asking, is that two sticks of Corsair Vengeance ram in the new kit? You might try testing with a single stick individually, to see whether that makes any difference with the 2300X. Also, clearing the CMOS to reset BIOS settings in-between hardware swaps might avoid any potential issues from changing things around.

More than likely bent pins on the processor and even broke one off then tried to boot with it and did not get all the pins correct so fried the board also.
That sounds relatively unlikely, not more than likely. : P

Kvnnon

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
It is 3600 compatible

Kvnnon

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
They already mentioned getting the 2300X to post with some other other RAM, probably from the other system they borrowed it from.

Worth asking, is that two sticks of Corsair Vengeance ram in the new kit? You might try testing with a single stick individually, to see whether that makes any difference with the 2300X. Also, clearing the CMOS to reset BIOS settings in-between hardware swaps might avoid any potential issues from changing things around.

That sounds relatively unlikely, not more than likely. : P
It is vengeance ram. Clearing CMOS didn't work. With the 2300x I posted but after spamming all the BIOS entry keys it wouldn't let me in no matter what. It just stays in the bios screen then boot loops.