[SOLVED] In videos I see builders with their hands all over the front and back of the motherboards before mounting it in the case, won't that shorten the life

caaront

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Even some of the popular youtube builders have their whole hand across the front of the mobo and flip it over to place the CPU cooler bracket on the back of the mobo, then flip it back over with their whole hand across the back of the mobo.

I have read that even if grounded to avoid static the oils in our skin will shorten the life of the parts on the mobo our skin touches, etc...

I read that the PC build may work fine for a while then possibly fail prematurely if you have handled the mobo carelessly brushing you fingers across the mobo, etc...

I just got an RMAd mobo and CPU replaced, first defective items in 11 years, but after reading all that I am so scared and paranoid that I am going to screw something up by accidentally touching or brushing my finger against something.

I wear the anti static band so I am grounded, but I have never had an issue before in 11 years.

Do I need to be scared if my fingertip touches anything other than the plastic edge of a mobo, or are the warnings just so you will be very careful when building?

I am paranoid enough with trying to avoid static electricity, but now I have to worry about premature failure if any skin touches any part of the mobo, or any other electronics, etc?

About ready to pay extra to have it put together

Thank you for any help.

Solution
Lol, if I pay someone at a shop to put it together they'll probably hold the mobo with their palms all over the front and back, and maybe even stand on carpet.

I actually know of a shop where the guys work in a carpeted room, I asked them about static electricity from walking on the carpet and they said it doesn't matter, I do not use them.

caaront

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Lol, if I pay someone at a shop to put it together they'll probably hold the mobo with their palms all over the front and back, and maybe even stand on carpet.

I actually know of a shop where the guys work in a carpeted room, I asked them about static electricity from walking on the carpet and they said it doesn't matter, I do not use them.

Solution