In VR, 'The Blind Gamer' Sees Without Glasses For The First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
This is such an awesome article. Things like that totally make my day. Imagine what VR (and AR too) can do in the future to visually impaired people !

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

So glad you thought so. That's exactly how I felt when I stumbled upon Steve's video. I knew I had to share the story.
It actually brightened my day to watch that clip. He's so incredibly happy.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
It sounds like someone just needs to make "glasses" but LCD screens for the user and a camera on the outside. It doesn't need to be a bulky headset.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
So maybe someone (official at Tom's) should start a 'go-fundme' type thing and get the guy a gaming rig with Vive?

LanzoCommando

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

I thought the same thing! Great story!

Thanks for posting this it was really nice to watch. Made me think they now need to make some type of calibration for people that don't have 20/20 to start choosing what text looks best kind of thing until its calibrated for your eyes.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

That's pretty much what I was suggesting.
It's just a matter of time.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Saylor and I discussed this idea.
When HMDs get eye tracking systems, these types of things will become a reality.

CylonRaider

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I don't consider his vision to be that bad. I am a legally blind artist as well. Airbrush illustrator, computer graphic and 3d artist. I read with a magnifying glass. My artwork published without anyone knowing about my vision. My vision is 20/2100 in my good eye and 20/2400 in my bad eye. I have scar tissue on my optic nerves and Nystagmus in both eyes. I'm not too bad of a gamer on a large monitor. The large monitor is great for zooming in to get high detail in my artwork. I'm looking forward to see if this really works. I don't see how it can with my eyes jumping around the way they. How this could work? How could this possible track my eyes for targeting. I have been thinking, I would have to miss out on the whole VR thing. I hope this story is ture and not just some positive fluff.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Steve said he tried to look up his vision and the best he can tell, his is rated at 20/14000 without his corrective lenses.

He put out a video FAQ about himself, in which he shows how quickly his eyes move side to side. I'm no expert, but it looks pretty serious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUMIsNLkg9I

The blind gamer has no affiliation with TH. I came accross his video and reached out to him to learn more.
I'm pretty confident he's not being disingenuous.
Watch the video at the bottom of the story to see his reaction.

CylonRaider

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

I would be very happy if this works. Like him I am better off reading and looking close. It may be an improvement just because the closer things are the better I can focus on them. Something I haven't considered. Not thinking to much about the eye tracking. I'm going to start following VR and have a higher interest thanks to your story and your reply.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

This response makes me so happy that I decided to pursue this story. :D I was hoping this would reach someone else who might have a similar eye problem as Steve.

I encourage you to seek out a VR demo if you can. There are many on-site locations where you can try out VR hardware, such as the Microsoft Store and Best Buy.
There are also many VR arcades popping up all around the country and the world. If you don't have a VR arcade in your city, chances are good that you will in the next 6 to 12 months.

I hope it works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.