in what orientation do i place the power supply?

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
so i have the cooler master elite 430 in which the psu goes on the bottom. do keep the fan of the psu pointing up towards my motherbaord and graphics card (the gpu is like an inch above the psu)? or does the fan go on the bottom side, where there is a vent for air flow??

i thought it was clear that the fan should go on the bottom side, but i've heard otherwise. so i wanna be 100% sure of this.

Solution
Yes; they are intake fans. There is no wrong way to mount the PSU so whatever orientation you want will work. Most recommend facing the fan toward the bottom so the PSU has its own dedicated source for cool air.

Also, some PSUs do have an Eco Mode which means that the fan will not turn on under low load.

Hi - If you have a vent on the bottom of the case,you can face fan down. However, there is no harm in facing the PSU fan towards the GPU. PSU's have been sucking warm air off GPU's for quite a while and able to handle it well.

If I had good case ventilation/air flow, I'd face it down. If I were concerned about air flow/GPU temp, I'd face the PSU fan up towards the GPU.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
2cifel5.jpg

Yes; they are intake fans. There is no wrong way to mount the PSU so whatever orientation you want will work. Most recommend facing the fan toward the bottom so the PSU has its own dedicated source for cool air.

Also, some PSUs do have an Eco Mode which means that the fan will not turn on under low load.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS