In With the New, Out With the Old...?

MoFro343

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I need help deciding what to do with an old PC.

I love video games. I love em a lot. And for the past 5 years, I've been playing my favorite PC games on my family's surprisingly capable old gaming rig. Although I could get reasonable performance on modern games, it's age was beginning to show.

So, when this 5-year old PC's hard drive went kaput a few days ago, we took it as a natural opportunity to get a upgraded budget gaming PC. It'll be arriving in a week or two.

But now, I don't know what to do with the old PC. It's too old to sell by individual parts, and too good to trash or recycle. As far as I know, the only thing it needs to be revived is a new hard drive, although it most likely needs a few more changes to be put back in acceptable condition.

Any ideas on what to do with it?

Make a NAS (Networked Attached Storage) machine out of it. Anyone on the network and dump and get files from it, reducing the need for local storage on machines and pretty good for mobile devices.
Home Theater PC, stick it under your TV, throw a capture card in it and suddenly you have a Hyper-Intelligent TV instead of just a Smart TV.
DOS-Box, use it to play legacy games like the original DOOM.
Use it as a family machine, Microsoft Word, Internet and stuff like that.