Question Inability to change screen refresh rate to 144Hertz

Apr 3, 2019
Hi there

Ive bought a Asus VG275q (60 hertz ) as a secondary monitor. and an Asus VG278q as my main monitor. I am however unable to change the refresh rate from 60 to 144. Google has taken me through several of the threads on these forums.

The OSD Menu has no option for changing to 144.

The Display setting > adapter properties > Monitor > only has a 60 hertz in the drop down menu

The Nvidia control panel also only have 60 hertz in the drop down menu.

I am sorry to say but I am my google search mojo end and I dont know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In your NVIDIA control panel - are you sure you're setting it to your resolution under PC resolutions, not the Ultra HD resolutions.
The ultra HD will be limited to 60Hz as its made more for HD TVs. PC resolutions will go to your monitor refresh rate.

nvidia-control-panel-resolution-setting.jpg

You can see the HD resolutions here - you'll want to go FURTHER DOWN to the PC resolutions instead.

Apr 3, 2019
Aight, home from work, lets start:

Nvidia Gforce GTX 1080, drivers are automatically updated via the Experience program, Manually doubled checked, I have the latest drivers installed.

Currently using the in package DVI cables, though those are abit short, so I ordered a 3 and 5 M dvi cables from an external source, both are 144hz verified by the seller.

The link to the reddit scares me tbh, if windows is able to lock my better screen purely outta spite..
On the other hand, that link might become valuable later (So thanks for that @PC Tailor ) But currently I am taking one issue at a time. and the current is that I dont even get the option to set 144.

@SkyNetRising Hi and welcome to teach the scrub 1 0 1 - What is clone mode and how to I check it ?
Only thing i was able to find while googling was a walkthrough for windows 10 to go under display options.

This drop down menu has been on "extend these displays"

Thanks in advance guys.

Apr 3, 2019
Solution found

Pretty simple fix - since it was human error

My graphic card has 1 DVI and 4 HDMI exits - I had swapped the cables, so the DVI exit was used on secondary monitor.

Since it was a HDMI/DVI cable, it presented itself as DVI when looking in settings.

Last edited: