Inaccessible Boot Device (No apparent trigger?)

sonicstar

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hello,

I booted my PC today to be greeted with an Inaccessible Boot Device error. I cannot get to Safe Mode and everything I've tried on Google so far hasn't worked or doesn't apply to me. I find this strange, since there is no apparent trigger. I have not installed any new hardware, or changed any BIOS settings in a few days. Last week, I installed OSX on a separate SSD, and everything has worked fine since then.

I am stuck in a recovery loop. I have tried using the diskpart program to see volume names and drive assignments and have noticed that the Sys Reserved is set to C and the main volume set to D. I therefore reassigned them and this did nothing. They seem to revert, because when I then go back on diskpart, they are D and C respectively. I find this odd.

EDIT: Running bootrec /rebuildbcd gives: Total Identified Windows Installations: 0 (huh?)

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Solution
Hey there, sonicstar.

Well it really seems like something might have gone wrong due to the dual-boot... or something else. If you can't find any Windows installations, it really looks like you'd have to make a fresh one. Just remember to have all other drives disconnected from the motherboard during the Windows installation process.
After that you could test the drives for errors with their manufacturers' diagnostic tools and.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, sonicstar.

Well it really seems like something might have gone wrong due to the dual-boot... or something else. If you can't find any Windows installations, it really looks like you'd have to make a fresh one. Just remember to have all other drives disconnected from the motherboard during the Windows installation process.
After that you could test the drives for errors with their manufacturers' diagnostic tools and.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution