Inaccessible Boot Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFSephirothKill

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
Ok recently my pc has been crashing like crazy and I got tired of it so I decided to reset my pc (I have windows 10) but after I did so it would try to restart and it kept saying it ran into a problem (INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE) and it would reset again and it would keep doing that in an endless loop.
So I figured all the crashing before was because of motherboard
Gigabyte ATX Socket AM3+ AMD 970 Chipset
So I recently bought a new motherboard
A MSI 970 Gaming mother board
But its still keeps showing the screen that keeps saying it ran into a problem (INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE) in a endless loop
Does this mean I need a brand new clean hard drive that doesn’t have windows installed on it so it can act like a brand new computer or what?
Im just so frustrated with this I really need help or advice.
Or do I just have to go into the bios and do something?

Solution
It's not recognising that you have a copy of windows on your hard drive.

How did you figure out the motherboard was your issue? Out of curiosity, as there would be no reason for your HDD to have issues just because your HDD did. More likely the HDD was failing all along.

I would remove the HDD, get an external enclosure & see if it is recognised in another computer.
If it is, backup your data. Then put it back in your computer, and perform a fresh windows 10 install.
If it's not recognised, you may well have a dead HDD. There are tools out there to recover data, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not recognising that you have a copy of windows on your hard drive.

How did you figure out the motherboard was your issue? Out of curiosity, as there would be no reason for your HDD to have issues just because your HDD did. More likely the HDD was failing all along.

I would remove the HDD, get an external enclosure & see if it is recognised in another computer.
If it is, backup your data. Then put it back in your computer, and perform a fresh windows 10 install.
If it's not recognised, you may well have a dead HDD. There are tools out there to recover data, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Solution

FFSephirothKill

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
for the boot drive had nothing to do with the motherboard but before that my pc was crashing at least twice everyday before I reset my pc and when I first installed the motherboard we had problems with it and we had to continually mess with it so I felt I messed up that mobo when I first installed it when I built my pc. so I wanted to fix that problem but then when I reset my pc it caused a new problem involving the boot drive.

I figured it wasn't recognizing my windows
whats an external enclosure?
should I just get a new hard drive if what you mention doesn't work?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

It's strange resetting caused an issue with your HDD. You didn't force it 'off' during the reset or anything, did you?

Something like this - it turns your internal HDD into an external. You can them plug it into another computer to back up your data.

I would try reinstalling windows on that HDD first (after you've backed up your data of course) and see if that works out. If not, yeah, you might need to go the new HDD route.

FFSephirothKill

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015

involving the boot drive.

it was resetting like normal until it did that endless to loop. but thanks for the replay.
also i would like to know is it simple to clean the hard drive out using this
I will try it out and hopefully I can restore it to normal

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You'll struggle to 'restore it to normal' based on what you've said so far.

Something is corrupt on your HDD, there's likely no recovering it.
Follow what I've suggested (back up data & a fresh install) and with any luck you'll be ok.

Worst case, you'll need a new HDD and a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.