Inaccessible Boot Drive Error

haioko

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have recently been given another PC to turn into a media server. Previous to this, I used my gaming rig as the media server. I had a 1TB WD HDD that was used as media storage. I had no issues connecting, setting up, and using the HDD in my gaming rig. Now that I've set up this new computer, used a seperate 80GB HDD just for the OS, I've tried putting the 1TB HDD into it and continue to get an Inaccessible Boot Drive error on W10.

Prior to installing the 1TB HDD, I had installed W10, updated everything, installed a new GPU, updated all drivers and ensured everything worked fine.

I've taken the 1TB HDD back out, and the system boots normally like nothing ever happened.

I've put the 1TB HDD back into my gaming rig and it shows and works with no issues. The only thing on this HDD is media. No software, OS etc.

Sometimes, on the media PC, when the HDD is plugged in, it posts then shuts down without warning. I can't get in to safe mode with the HDD installed, to see if it's a driver issue. I've tried plugging in the drive whilst the PC is running (bad idea, I know, but I'm desperate), the HDD doesn't show on PC or on disk management.

I've tried using all power outlets, changing to each different SATA port, changing the SATA cable, unplugging DVD/CD drive. BIOS is the current version.

When I plug in the 1TB HDD by it's self, I obviously just get the post message stating that I need to plug in the system drive.

Unfortunately, on my BIOS it doesn't give the option to select specific hard drives to boot from in the boot order. You just select "CD/DVD ROM" or "Hard Drive".

I'm at my wits end with this, as clearly the drive works, the PC it's going in to works. I'd understand if the PC booted but I had issues once in, I could surmise that then it would be driver issues etc.

I'd rather not have to format the HDD because I don't particularly want to lose 1TB of data. I don't have a backup for it.

Media PC Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
CPU: Intel Pentium (D)
PSU: Integrator 500w
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 710
OS HDD: Western Digital WD800JD

Any help appreciated!

Solution
"...And make backups. Having data on a single drive pretty much guarantees you will lose it at some point. Even if you never move it to the other system, it can fail..." hang-the-nine has typed words like golden apples upon a silver platter -- do such on a routine basis going forward.
If the system dies without warning with the other disk in, but disk is OK in another system, shows a cable, motherboard or maybe PSU issues. That power supply is junk, could be the issue. And make backups. Having data on a single drive pretty much guarantees you will lose it at some point. Even if you never move it to the other system, it can fail.

haioko

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
That was my initial impression too.
Yeah, the PSU is pants. Though the problem was the OS. That board is fairly old therefore only supported up to W7. I think W10 was the issue. Unsure what exactly.
Installed Debian 9 on the boot disk instead and everything is working fine now.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...And make backups. Having data on a single drive pretty much guarantees you will lose it at some point. Even if you never move it to the other system, it can fail..." hang-the-nine has typed words like golden apples upon a silver platter -- do such on a routine basis going forward.

Solution