Inaccurate CPU temperature/FPS spikes

Boyyini

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Here's the situation:
I'm sitting in Minecraft, not moving, running 100ish FPS pretty stable. My CPUID HWMonitor is reading my processor temp at a cool 20C (Pretty sure this is inaccurate...) and every 20 seconds or so, my FPS will jump so 300+ and my temp will also jump to 32C for a few seconds and then back. I am having the same issue in several games. Lowering graphics settings increase FPS a bit, but It still fluctuates the same way.

Right before this problem started, I did attempt to do a BIOS overclock from 4.0GHz to 4.3GHz but my computer failed to boot so I returned to previous settings and the computer booted up fine.

CPU - AMD FX8350
GFX - Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB
MOBO - Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
RAM - 8GB Hyperx 1866MHz (2x4GB)
PSU - 550 Watt

Any help would be appreciated!

Instead of HWMonitor, try your mobo (http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#ov ) uefi software "Easytune 6"

How are you measuring fps? FRAPS?

Read a guide on OCing the 8350. Don't OC it unless you have a custom cooler. The stock cooler is crap.

PSU make and model?

Boyyini

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
I got EasyTune6 and it was showing a more reasonable 42C with Minecraft running.
I'm using the in-game FPS counters for Minecraft, Borderlands 2, and Battlefield 3.
I won't be attempting to overclock anymore
PSU is Ultra LSP Series V2 550

After restarting and sitting on Minecraft again, FPS was still low (for my hardware and what I used to get), but didn't jump up anymore.

To Wisecracker: I was being careless and didn't imagine a 300 MHZ overclock would cause problems.

To Wisecracker: I was being careless and didn't imagine a 300 MHZ overclock would cause problems...

It should not cause problems -- even with the stock cooler. You would likely need to take aggressive manual control of your voltages as Gigabyte motherboards are notorious for over-volting on 'Auto'.

You also need to disable 'Turbo' and 'APM' (the core management/throttling feature <-- likely your issue in the first place).

Remember: With Turbo enabled, a simple '300MHz' OC at stock can blow the clock rate beyond 4.5GHz on individual cores :ouch: