[SOLVED] Inaccurate speed test results? Upload speed question

Aug 20, 2019
Okay so basically my question is about my upload speed, according to speedtest by ookla and fast.com I have a range of 11-15mb upload speed and 23-25mb download speed with 6-10ms

But as I start streaming (PC games) in facebook using streamlabs obs it only receives 2000kb this has been going on for a week now and I have been streaming for nearly 1 year using 5000-6000 bitrate without a problem, its also the first time for me to encounter inaccurate results from speedtest... usually if my bitrate is low in streamlabs my speed test results are also low... but as i mentioned above I am receiving a steady 11-15mb upload speed.

All my settings in streamlabs obs are correct and I have tried streaming in twitch and youtube as well, all platforms are only receiving 2000kb max.. and I also tried using obs studio but still receiving low bit rate uploads.

is this an ISP problem? because its the first time I have encountered that my upload speed in streaming and upload speed test results are not equal.

Solution
If you have a second machine you could try a old line mode program called IPERF. You want both machines on ethernet. You should get rates over 900mbps in both directions. This program will test the nic and the drives as well as any cables or ports. If this works it means the problem is likely in the application. Application issues are harder to find.
Not very likely a ISP problem other than maybe you have some issue with the path to some servers and not others. You need to hope that is not your issue because you even your ISP can do nothing about issues in other ISP.

In general you equipment and the ISP equipment does not really know the difference between a speedtest upload and stream data. It is basically packets with data being sent to some IP address. The only part of the data something like a router looks at is the ip address. It really doesn't care about what is actually being sent it does not want to burden its cpu looking at anything else.

It almost has to be something in your pc. The worst offenders tend to be any form of "gamer" network accelerators, especially the ones on the killer chipset.

Aug 20, 2019
Not very likely a ISP problem other than maybe you have some issue with the path to some servers and not others. You need to hope that is not your issue because you even your ISP can do nothing about issues in other ISP.

In general you equipment and the ISP equipment does not really know the difference between a speedtest upload and stream data. It is basically packets with data being sent to some IP address. The only part of the data something like a router looks at is the ip address. It really doesn't care about what is actually being sent it does not want to burden its cpu looking at anything else.

It almost has to be something in your pc. The worst offenders tend to be any form of "gamer" network accelerators, especially the ones on the killer chipset.

What could be the solution for this and try to sort it out if it has something to do with my pc?

If you have a second machine you could try a old line mode program called IPERF. You want both machines on ethernet. You should get rates over 900mbps in both directions. This program will test the nic and the drives as well as any cables or ports. If this works it means the problem is likely in the application. Application issues are harder to find.

Solution