Apr 8, 2021
Environment: Windows 10 Pro located in an office Environment
Windows Server 2019 Server : Located in a separate office Environment

Problem:

This environment has been set up so Windows 10 local machine can use remote desktop to the server in order to access the backend of the database systems in place. The local Windows 10 machine is using printer redirection over Remote Desktop in order to allow printing from the server to the printer located in the Windows 10's office environment. Over time we have noted an increase in inactive TS ports on the printer ports on the Windows Server.

My question is if these ever-increasing inactive ports is going to create performance issues with the server, and if there is a way to prevent this from occurring ?

Ralston18

Titan
Almost seems to be a homework question.

Forum rules prohibit doing homework.

However, will go with giving you the "benefit of the doubt".

Overall more information is needed.

However, here are two starter links that may help you narrow down both the cause and an applicable solution.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-disconnected

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...inter-change-upon-rdp-re-connection-to-t.html

Read the links, google for similar links as you learn in order to focus on what is most relevant to your environment and the growing number of inactive ports.

Then, if necessary, post more details about the environment, its overall configuration, what you found, what you tried, and what were the results.

Apr 8, 2021
To give more information:
This located was inherited by our company for Technical Support after the client choose to change companies. In essence the client is focused on being able to print to local printers at their location while working on the Server which is located elsewhere. The system is currently operating fine but during our review of the system we noticed a growing number of Inactive TS ports left over after RDP Disconnection. I have verified that there is a limit on the TS connections through Group Policy with hopes that this would clean out the Inactive TS Ports upon reaching the limit. However this does not appear to be the case. Ideally I would like to transition the end user to no longer using re-directed printers to the server to alleviate this issue, however the client is insistent on this method of operating. I know I can clear the TS ports out through
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses{28d78fad-5a12-11d1-ae5b-0000f803a8c2}##?#Root#RDPBUS#0000#{28d78fad-5a12-11d1-ae5b-0000f803a8c2}\

However I would prefer to find a more permanent solution than periodically manually deleting out the ports. Its my understanding that allowing these ports to continue to grow will eventually lead to performance issues on the server. Through my research I found that Server 2008 r2 there was a Hotfix available to address this exact issue however I have not found a solution to this problem for the Windows Server 2019 environment.