Inastalling/Activating Win10 on a new build before wiping the old.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
It would be great if it is possible to have both systems running at once to transfer files.
So:

-If I install windows from my usb on a new build what happens to the old?

-If I activate Win10 on the new build will it just deny my code, or deactivate the old build?

-Can I manually deactivate my old builds Win10 before installing it on the new build?

-Will deactivating the old system render everything useless? Or will my files be there on an inactivated WIn10.

Solution
Nothing happens.

Windows on old pc gets deactivated.

You activate windows on new pc, old one gets deactivated.

No. Just lost windows activation. Everything else will work the same.

Perform clean install...
You don't need to activate Windows 10 to be able to use it.
You could transfer all your files, install apps, etc.

The only differences you will see is an Activate Windows watermark on the lower right-hand corner of the desktop and you won't be able to change Personalization.
Everything else will function normally.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Right, but what I want is to swap the activation. Can you just activate any time? Is it best to activate upon clean install? Can I deactivate?

Nothing happens.

Windows on old pc gets deactivated.

You activate windows on new pc, old one gets deactivated.

No. Just lost windows activation. Everything else will work the same.

Perform clean install on new pc and use windows activation troubleshooter to perform activation (transfer windows license from old pc to new).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter
(You recently made a significant hardware change)

Solution
Is better to activate after Windows installation. During Windows 10 setup you could skip activation be clicking on I don't have a product key.
You could transfer your license if you have either purchased a Windows retail copy or you upgraded a retail copy from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Before trying to activate the new system, make sure to create a Microsoft account and link your Windows license to your Microsoft account creating a Digital Licensing.

After you are ready with the new system you could uninstall the license from the old system...then sign in with your Microsoft account on the new system to activate Windows.

If you leave both system activated at the same time, with the same license, one or both could get deactivated from Microsoft servers.