Inccorect Data Usage Report on RAID 1

dasmith08

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I have 2X 1TB drives in RAID 1 with ~230 GB of data, but under "My Computer" it says that ~460 GB of data are in use. I'm worried that this doubling of the data will result in Windows thinking my drives are full when they're only halfway. Thoughts?

dasmith08

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
It's correctly reporting the two drives as 1TB, just every file I add appears to take double the space. If it will help, here are basic specs:

Core 2 E6400
P965 Express
IHC8R Family
2X WD Caviar Greet 1TB

I ran the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program, it seems that the array is set up properly and no errors came up when I ran the verification.

dasmith08

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I had set up the array on a previous OS install, then wiped the boot drive (separate from the array) and reinstalled the OS. As far as I know it was reporting correctly prior to re-installing the OS but I don't know for sure.

As a safety measure, backup your data. Then check what happens if you disconnect one of the hard disks. The RAID should be degraded, but you should check if Windows now reports 230 GB or 460 GB of used space. If everything is correct, then reconnect the hard disk and let the RAID rebuild. Then check what Windows reports again.