Question incoming big update?

braveheart0707

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
planning to update my z87 system.

Should i grab the current generation of 9700k/9900k and z390 or wait for something else big coming in the near future?

I saw that Intel is coming with its 10th generation soon. Is that going to be a big jump worth waiting for?

What about on the chipset/GPU front?

10th gen CPUs are not coming "soon". All that is coming down the pipe right now, according to the rumor mill, is a stopgap release of the same generation/architecture in a 10 core model. It will not however be a 10th gen CPU. Those are not coming until supposedly around Q2 2020.

We suspect Intel Comet Lake will be the first to make use of the 10th gen brand in the desktop space, the 14nm follow-up to Coffee Lake suspected to launch sometime between Q3 and Q2, 2020. But for mobile Intel has reiterated Ice Lake will be ready for launch before the end of 2019.

Considering the platform you are on now is about five years old, anything from the Coffee lake 9th gen or upcoming Ryzen 3000 series would likely be a decent improvement especially in the area of multithreaded processing. If you can find a decently priced used 4790k, which nets you an additional four threads, that might make a nice temporary solution until a more desirable release does come along.