[SOLVED] Incompatible RAM

Oct 17, 2020
Hey there,
I'm building a system consisting of a Gigabyte B460M-DS3H. The CPU I'm pairing it with is a 10700.
When I looked up the specs on Gigabytes website I noticed that using an i7 this board only supports up to 2933 MHz, but the RAM I purchased earlier is 3200MHz.
So my question is, will my RAM work with this system with a matter of just underclocking itself or am I in trouble?

I've been searching around the forum for similar questions but couldn't find a definite, general answer so I thought I'll just ask about my specific mobo..

Solution
Hey there,
I'm building a system consisting of a Gigabyte B460M-DS3H. The CPU I'm pairing it with is a 10700.
When I looked up the specs on Gigabytes website I noticed that using an i7 this board only supports up to 2933 MHz, but the RAM I purchased earlier is 3200MHz.
So my question is, will my RAM work with this system with a matter of just underclocking itself or am I in trouble?

I've been searching around the forum for similar questions but couldn't find a definite, general answer so I thought I'll just ask about my specific mobo..

You should be OK however check that your DIMM kit is listed on the Motherboard QVL and that they are a tested kit.
Your CPU officially supports 2933MHz so the IMC may allow for...
Hey there,

You should be OK however check that your DIMM kit is listed on the Motherboard QVL and that they are a tested kit.
Your CPU officially supports 2933MHz so the IMC may allow for 3200MHz however no guarantee.
There's very little difference in performance between 2933MHz and 3200MHz.

They may have an XMP profile for 3200MHz so check in CPUz and obtain the SPD info for Timings and voltage to enter in Bios.
If usure then list the P/N of your RAM kit?

Reactions: TeroxZ
Solution
Oct 17, 2020
The kit is a HP v6 3200MHz CL16. Are you suggesting that it'll only work if 3200 MHz is reached through an XMP (meaning its' base frequencies are within the supported range)? Because I'm pretty sure it's real 3200MHz (as far as I can tell from HP's site)

I don't mind losing on 266MHz performance-wise, if anything maybe I can juice out lower CAS out of it.

I can't check on cpuz, first because it didn't arrive yet but also I don't have another system that's compatible with it so if I actually manage to get to cpuz I'm already past the problem.

Oct 17, 2020
@MeanMachine41 Just went over their list, they don't show anything past 2933MHz so no luck over there. The DIMM supported is just regular DDR4 DIMM which fits the one I bought. Anyway thanks, I guess I'll just have to wait n see.