[SOLVED] Incompatible video board? Is this possible?

Jan 23, 2021
Hello. I have just bought a new PC in order to replace the existing one. The only component I have kept is the video board, because of budget reasons (Palit GeForce GTS 450 Sonic 1GB GDDR5 128-bit ).

The components that I have bought are the following :

MB : GIGABYTE B460M DS3H
CPU : Intel Comet Lake, Core i3 10100F 3.6GHz
RAM : HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15
PSU : M12II-520 EVO Edition Bronze 520W
SSD : Kingston A2000 250GB

Everything alright, I started assembling the PC and cannibalizing the old one for the GPU, as my new CPU doesnt have IGPU. Once I press the power button, the leds go on, fans start to spin, but no image on the monitor (D-SUB connection). I started reinstalling all the pieces, but no luck. So I went to a local IT service. The guys started replacing components one by one with theirs, and finally (after testing the PSU) they said that the GPU (GTS 450) is not compatible with my MB or CPU. They installed a RX 5600 and voila, the PC boots into BIOS.
But my GTS 450 is not faulty, as I am currently using it on my old Pentium G4400, right now.

Is it true what the IT guys said? Can the old video board not be compatible with the new CPU and new MB? Do i need to buy a new video card? Thank you.

Solution
So, considerint those facts, the best solution is to get a new Video Card. I was surfing the online IT shops in my country, and the cheapest and affordable for me now would be a GT 1030. Do you think that this video card would solve all my problems? Thank you also for your answers.
GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version will be nearly 100% faster than your GTS 450. I would look for a used GTX 970 or 960 for an even faster card though. Edit - I should mention that even though it's much faster, the GT 1030 is still very underpowered for newer games and you will struggle to get good fps even at 1280x720 or 1366x768.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doubtful. Nvidia has been compatible since pcie 1.1. AMD changed their power delivery system in pcie 2.3. So you can't use nvidia cards from pcie 1.0 or amd cards prior to pcie 2.3 on a newer pc.

Some older cards do have a compatibility issue with uefi bios, that's usually easily fixed by enable legacy/eufi in bios. The It guys should have done that when the Rx 5600 was tested and worked.

The easiest fix is as they say, newer gpu. But thats only because you chose a cpu with no igpu, so if it ever comes back to you needing to reset bios back to factory defaults, you'll still have a display output.

Jan 23, 2021
So, considerint those facts, the best solution is to get a new Video Card. I was surfing the online IT shops in my country, and the cheapest and affordable for me now would be a GT 1030. Do you think that this video card would solve all my problems? Thank you also for your answers.

GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version will be nearly 100% faster than your GTS 450. I would look for a used GTX 970 or 960 for an even faster card though. Edit - I should mention that even though it's much faster, the GT 1030 is still very underpowered for newer games and you will struggle to get good fps even at 1280x720 or 1366x768.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 23, 2021
Thank you. I only use this PC for web browsing so I don't neet a more powerful GPU. All that I'm hoping is that a new GPU will work with my build. What Karadjgne could be true, because I don't see any other possible reason for this malfunction. The plan now I think is to buy a new cheap GPU, and test it. If it works ok, I will keep it and that's the story. If it doesn't, return it and continue troubleshooting.

TRENDING THREADS