Incomprehensibly weird glitch.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I'll warn you now, fixing this is probably not for the faint of heart, and there is a long tale of how this came to be in the first place:

Some background that may or may not be relevant:
About 6 months ago now, my brother decided to build a totally new system, and gave himself a decent budget. At that time, the system we decided to build was an X38 mobo with 8gb ram, a Q6600 and 2 4870's in crossfire (running on a corsair 750tx PSU, and in an antec 1200 case).

A short while later, for transport purposes, we swapped cases (he put his system and a lot of fans in my antec 300 and I put mine into his 1200), he then brought his computer to uni, brought it back again and then left it the computer. Shortly thereafter, for various reasons, I borrowed one of his 4870's for use in my own computer (a p35 e2160 quite heavily OC'd system in an antec 300 case) (Yes I did ask him first). However, after a while I got my own 4890, and put his 4870 back into his computer.

This is where the problem starts (but it gets much weirder) Shortly after he started using his computer again, he started complaining that his computer was crashing randomly an hour or two into gameplay. This didn't actually bother him much because he didn't usually play any one game for that long, and then recently, he transported the computer (still in the antec 300) to university again.

This is where things get very strange to my mind: After he started using his computer in university for games, all the crashes have stopped completely. However, the first time he loads any game, he gets very strange colours that are very messed up. However, closing the game and starting it again makes the game run perfectly, and so he is now quite happy.
But.... He recently noticed that the fan at the top of the antec 300 case was not spinning, thinking it might be stuck or something similar, he opened the case's side while the computer was running a game with the strange colours. Then, for some unknown reason, the colours fixed back to normal without restarting the game, and the fan started spinning again. The particularly weird thing however is that this colour change and fan functioning acts like a switch - you can change the colours to be normal and back to weird simply by putting the case side on, and the fan acts in this way too.

Therefore one would THINK that it might be a short circuit, caused by the case's side perhaps disrupting the parts in some way. Yet that doesn't make sense due to the fact that simply restarting the game will still fix the colour issues (until the next reboot).

I should mention, no parts are overheating and there should be ample power for the system

So there is my long tale, and I for one am highly confused by it. Can anyone shed any light?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Well,,with all the moving and swapping that case has gone through I suggest that a very thorough examination of all the connections is in order and I MEAN ALL OF THEM,data,electrical,periphial,etc,,inside and outside,overlook nothing because as it is electrical and interconnected anything can snafu the entire system,hope you find the bug..:)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

The only thing that puts me off it being a short is the fact that one can remove the weird colours simply by closing and opening the game again - software changes shouldn't solve a hardware problem right?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Your fan is causing a short or overload on your power supply. It doesn't matter how grand a power supply it is, it happens. I had a fan overload a top of the line PC Power brand power supply. Thinking the PS was defective, I exchanged it for a higher capacity 1200Wt model only to have the same problem. After unplugging everything but the essentials the computer booted and ran perfectly. I then proceeded to add the rest of the stuff one at a time until I hit on a fan which promptly killed my system all over again. One bad fan or one too many on one circuit is all it takes.