Inconsisent framerate after GPU upgrade

Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but I'm posting here as I haven't seen this anywhere else.

I recently upgraded from a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB to a GTX 1070 Founders Edition. I've noticed almost every single one of my games run far better than before on maxed out settings.

However, I've noticed that Doom (2016) will wildly vary between 20-60fps in every imaginable configuration. I've switched between graphics APIs and tweaked the graphics settings to hell and back. No matter what it's set to, the framerate stays inconsistent.

I've also noticed when trying to switch from the game to the main menu, there's a 50/50 chance it crashes my entire PC and forces a reboot. Doom is the only game that behaves this way. Other graphically demanding games do not behave this way.

Here are my specs:

Core i7 6700/hyper 212 cooler in push-pull
24GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 1070 Founders(not Ti)
WD Black NVMe SSD
3 1TB HDDs
750W EVGA power supply

After a quick calculation, my peak power consumption should not exceed 500w under load. My thermals remain stable. I have done a full purge and re-install of drivers, re-installed the game, and I even tried enabling Above 4G Decoding in BIOS thinking it might be a lack of PCIe bandwidth. All of this happened AFTER upgrading to my 1070.

Does anyone have a clue as to why Doom of all games behaves this way? Any answers are much appreciated.

Thank you.