Question Inconsistent and terrible Preformance since new GPU installation (RTX 2070 Super)

Aug 21, 2020
The reason i am posting this in the System category instead of the GPU category is because i have actually got a replacement for my GPU for it to only have the same problem. My problem is that my performance is complete garbage and incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes games will run fine and other times they run at 5 fps (which seems to be the only consistent thing here, when games run bad they all run at 5 fps). I have tried so many things and even bought a new power supply (corsair RM850x). I even had my computer crash once today for no apparent reason while i was in a game. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The reason i am posting this in the System category instead of the GPU category is because i have actually got a replacement for my GPU for it to only have the same problem. My problem is that my performance is complete garbage and incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes games will run fine and other times they run at 5 fps (which seems to be the only consistent thing here, when games run bad they all run at 5 fps). I have tried so many things and even bought a new power supply (corsair RM850x). I even had my computer crash once today for no apparent reason while i was in a game. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @ROBO_BABO

Welcome to the forums!

Please list out the rest of your systems specs. Please be as specific as possible so that we know what you are working with.

A few basic question that I'm sure you've already ruled out:

1. Any OC's?
  2. Motherboard Bios ver.?
  3. What other GPU did you use that had the same issue? If you had the same performance issues pre-2070 and then again after you got the new GPU, that points to another component causing the issues.
  4. Have you reset your CMOS?
  5. Are you loading from an SSD? HDD? M.2? Win7? 10? Vista? (lol)
  6. Of course the correct power cables are connected right and um.. you are connected to the 2070 right and not to the port on your mobo? :) (Sorry, I had to ask)

More info please and again welcome!

Aug 21, 2020
Cpu: Core I7 8700k
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo
Mobo: Asus Z390-E
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 32gb 3000mhrz
GPU: Rtx 2070 Super FE
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Drives: Samsung 850 EVO (boot), samsung 970 m.2, WD 3TB Red x2, and a really cheap terrible OCZ ssd that i use to store game clips on

If i missed anything with the specs please do tell.

1: Nope, never OC'd anything over then it's stock.
2: Just installed latest Bios version for Asus Z390-E (1602 )
3: I had a GTX 1070 FE before i bought the new RTX 2070 Super only to RMA it, the 1070 was all fine no problems, only when i bought the new 2070 Super is when it started screwing up.
4: Yes, i have taken out the battery while the PSU was unplugged and reset the mobo many times.
5: Windows 10 boots off my Samsung 850 EVO ssd
6: Lol, yes i used all the cables that i came with the PSU i have, have all my drives, cpu, motherboard, and GPU connected to with the right cables to the right back end of the PSU (though i will ask, i went online to see if using the one split cable that came with the RM850x for the gpu i have was ok. What i got from that is if that kind of cable comes with the PSU then it should be fine using it, but if it doesn't then don't use one. Just want to ask for your opinion on this.) My PSU does make a clicking noise when i turn my computer on/off, but only when i do that. From what i learned i heard that's normal with this corsair psu.

If you need any other information i will gladly list all of it to the best of my ability, i really appreciate the support :).

P.S. I just went to user benchmark and did the test they have. The only thing that really came back bad was my m.2 nvme drive. Coincidentally that is the drive that i have been testing out my games/benchmarks from, testing to see if that is the issue right now.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Cpu: Core I7 8700k
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo
Mobo: Asus Z390-E
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 32gb 3000mhrz
GPU: Rtx 2070 Super FE
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Drives: Samsung 850 EVO (boot), samsung 970 m.2, WD 3TB Red x2, and a really cheap terrible OCZ ssd that i use to store game clips on

If i missed anything with the specs please do tell.

1: Nope, never OC'd anything over then it's stock.
2: Just installed latest Bios version for Asus Z390-E (1602 )
3: I had a GTX 1070 FE before i bought the new RTX 2070 Super only to RMA it, the 1070 was all fine no problems, only when i bought the new 2070 Super is when it started screwing up.
4: Yes, i have taken out the battery while the PSU was unplugged and reset the mobo many times.
5: Windows 10 boots off my Samsung 850 EVO ssd
6: Lol, yes i used all the cables that i came with the PSU i have, have all my drives, cpu, motherboard, and GPU connected to with the right cables to the right back end of the PSU (though i will ask, i went online to see if using the one split cable that came with the RM850x for the gpu i have was ok. What i got from that is if that kind of cable comes with the PSU then it should be fine using it, but if it doesn't then don't use one. Just want to ask for your opinion on this.) My PSU does make a clicking noise when i turn my computer on/off, but only when i do that. From what i learned i heard that's normal with this corsair psu.

If you need any other information i will gladly list all of it to the best of my ability, i really appreciate the support :).

P.S. I just went to user benchmark and did the test they have. The only thing that really came back bad was my m.2 nvme drive. Coincidentally that is the drive that i have been testing out my games/benchmarks from, testing to see if that is the issue right now.

Excellent & thorough info you have posted. Thank you. Please let us know what you find in regards to the M.2.

Speaking of which, which m.2 connector do you have it plugged into? The top or bottom slot? The same for your 2070? The top (closest to the CPU) or the bottom metal PCIe? If you have the M.2 "under" the 2070, drop it down to the lower slot and see if that changes your issues any and vice versa. Is the 970 m.2 a 2280?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Did you uninstall your old GPU drivers using the DDU tool and download the correct new ones? To me it sounds like the 2070 is trying to use the 1070 drivers or you're running the wrong version of directx

Aug 21, 2020
I installed the softwares that i use to test onto another drive and they still ran the same they did on the m.2. I have the m.2 connected to the bottom slot below the GPU in M.2_2 socket (that's what it's called in manual). The 2070 is connected to the top slot closest to the CPU. The m.2 is a 2280, and i switched to the top above the GPU and nothing better happened, i have also tried putting the GPU on another PCIE slot and that doesn't help either.

Aug 21, 2020
Did you uninstall your old GPU drivers using the DDU tool and download the correct new ones? To me it sounds like the 2070 is trying to use the 1070 drivers or you're running the wrong version of directx

Yes, i have used DDU many times and reinstalled the correct RTX 2070 Super drivers many times.

Edit because i forgot to talk about directx, i checked and i am running on the correct/latest version of direct x.

Aug 21, 2020
Excellent & thorough info you have posted. Thank you. Please let us know what you find in regards to the M.2.

Speaking of which, which m.2 connector do you have it plugged into? The top or bottom slot? The same for your 2070? The top (closest to the CPU) or the bottom metal PCIe? If you have the M.2 "under" the 2070, drop it down to the lower slot and see if that changes your issues any and vice versa. Is the 970 m.2 a 2280?

I just want to add this, it seems that every time i use DDU and reinstall the drivers it works fine, but then when i shutdown/restart the computer it starts again with the issues...