[SOLVED] Inconsistent Booting Issues

Feb 24, 2020
I have just replaced my i7-9700 with the i7-9700K for my MSI Z390 ACE mobo.

However, I'm starting to have weird booting issues.

It all started that sometimes I open the case just to position a connector or two, then when I try turning on the PC with the button, it won't turn on, but other times it does turn on.

Yesterday, when the PC didn't turn on, I made sure some cables were connected and it booted up when I pressed the power button. But this morning it was different. When I opened the case again just to get the GPU in place, it didn't turn on again. I first unplugged and reconnected the PSU, and then turned it off and then on again and when I pressed the button it went on. My GPU is working fine, rest n all normal, . The motherboard's IO panel and game boost button is still functional, but I just cannot turn on the system. The PSU I use is a Corsair Bronze CX650.

Any way to fix this issue, like is there a loose cable? I'm feeling uncomfortable using the PC at this moment. I'm considering bringing it to fix as the last resort. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, say we have ruled out any mobo/cpu related issues. Then the PSU is left. The thing you said about something it turns on and some times it doesn't - point to a PSU related problem.
When I opened the case again just to get the GPU in place
I totally lost your story here. Did you also try to upgrade/replace the GPU as well?

Have you tried to put the old CPU back again?

Any way to fix this issue, like is there a loose cable? I'm feeling uncomfortable using the PC at this moment. I'm considering bringing it to fix as the last resort. Thanks!
Is this your very first attempt to mount/replace a CPU? Have you taked into account the risk of ESD and protected the components against it? Did you put any force on the motherboard while mounting/dismounting CPU while still in the cabinet? Did you make sure that all power was turned off before opening the cabinet?

Have you get to the motherboard website and made sure the CPU is actually supported, or if you need a bios update befre cpu update?

Feb 24, 2020
I totally lost your story here. Did you also try to upgrade/replace the GPU as well?

I removed the GPU during the CPU installation, because I had to unscrew the AIO fans getting in the way for the screwdriver. I just installed the CPU, and I had to remove the GPU for this purpose.

Have you tried to put the old CPU back again?

No. Since then, the new CPU was isntalled and it works as good as gold. No thermal issues here.

Is this your very first attempt to mount/replace a CPU?

I've replaced a i5-9400F with a i7-9700 back in December, no issues. I updated the BIOS once back then because I used a different motherboard.

Have you taked into account the risk of ESD and protected the components against it? Did you put any force on the motherboard while mounting/dismounting CPU while still in the cabinet? Did you make sure that all power was turned off before opening the cabinet?

Have you get to the motherboard website and made sure the CPU is actually supported, or if you need a bios update befre cpu update?

When it comes into doing some surgery on my PC, that's when I practice utmost caution, so yes, I do acknowledge the risks of ESD. And of course, my power was off when I was doing the change, and the motherboard does support the CPU. I didn't need a BIOS update here.