[SOLVED] Inconsistent Crashing (Possible RAM Issue)?

Jul 13, 2021
New to forums considering almost all my PC issues have been straight forward. This one's got me - I'll do my best to describe the issue so bare with me.

Sequence of events:
-Gaming the night prior (playing Forza H4 with no issues)
-I boot the PC and start playing FH4 again the following day and the computer blue screens about 15 minutes in (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA)
-I reboot and open FH4 again and same thing...
-I reboot again and try BFV (game) this time - it lets me play for a moment or two and then blue screens (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)
-This time around I reboot and avoid any games and started researching the issue on the PC via chrome and it blue screens after about 15-20 min in chrome (ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY)
-After some research and suggestions from brother (versed in PC troubleshoot), I start to test each DIMM and each memory slot (each 8 gig sticks) - all of which seem to work under single channel for a couple of minutes
-I then test both two channel combos and managed to play for 30 mins or so on both combos
-I then decide to go back to four channel (original setup where issues first appeared) and managed to play for about 30 mins or so and it blue screened (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT)
-This time I worked backward and went down to two channel and managed to play for about 30 mins, only this time the game crashed rather than the whole computer.

The inconsistency has me here now. Does this sound like a RAM issue, or could this have to do with my CPU considering I got different results while switch from one channel, two channel and four channel? Any insight would be greatly appreciated
(again please forgive any ignorance as I am very new to this).

Another code the computer threw while I was experiencing my issues: 0xc0000221

SPECS -
Gigabyte Z390M
intel i5-9600k
GeForce RTX 2060
Corsair 32g (4 x 8g) 3000
Kingston 120 SSD (boot drive)
1tb WD for games
2tb WD for photos

-Thanks

Solution
Thanks for the tip on channels (I though channels was literally the numbers of DIMM's installed).

Ram SKU is the following: 5822467 - I purchased two packs of [2 x 8GB] so RAM should be identical.

Before I do as instructed - I've managed to boot into safe mode successfully. Will this note change any of the suggestions you have made?

-Appreciated
(was posted earlier but not as a reply)

Mixing kits is never a good idea. Even identical kits can have mismatch issues and manufacturers warn you of this. Your SKU indicates you have Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit - Black
P/N: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Dimms are binned at the factory to ensure Cas Latency...
Your MB is dual channel architecture and not quad channel.
Are your RAM a mix of 2 kits. List the SKU or P/Ns of your RAM.
Test your RAM for errors, use a USB with Memtest86 to eliminate that possibility.

The error code 0xc0000221 in Windows 10 usually occurs when your system does not boot. ... This error may appear due to hardware problems, malfunctions with the secondary graphics processor, damage to system files, interruption of third-party applications, etc. This error code usually indicates damage to the Kernel system level.

Run SFC /SCANNOW in an elevated command prompt to test your system32 files for corruption.

If still no result then try booting into safe mode in case you have driver issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
in case its a more soft reason

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Jul 13, 2021

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Will do. Busy for most of the day, but my next reply will contain the link you are looking for.

-Thanks

Jul 13, 2021
Your MB is dual channel architecture and not quad channel.
Are your RAM a mix of 2 kits. List the SKU or P/Ns of your RAM.
Test your RAM for errors, use a USB with Memtest86 to eliminate that possibility.

The error code 0xc0000221 in Windows 10 usually occurs when your system does not boot. ... This error may appear due to hardware problems, malfunctions with the secondary graphics processor, damage to system files, interruption of third-party applications, etc. This error code usually indicates damage to the Kernel system level.

Run SFC /SCANNOW in an elevated command prompt to test your system32 files for corruption.

If still no result then try booting into safe mode in case you have driver issues.
Thanks for the tip on channels (I though channels was literally the numbers of DIMM's installed).

Ram SKU is the following: 5822467 - I purchased two packs of [2 x 8GB] so RAM should be identical.

Before I do as instructed - I've managed to boot into safe mode successfully. Will this note change any of the suggestions you have made?

-Appreciated

Jul 13, 2021

Colif,

Here is a link to the MiniDump files from two instances today:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnJn-d-qZo9RkzHSgcqL_gI4_UnC?e=jWrd4l

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

-Thanks

-Appreciated

Mixing kits is never a good idea. Even identical kits can have mismatch issues and manufacturers warn you of this. Your SKU indicates you have Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit - Black

Dimms are binned at the factory to ensure Cas Latency compliance.
It's always best to select a single kit the size you need at a frequency your MB and CPU supports that are tested and listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are going to work.

If you are able to boot into safe mode then access Device Manager and look see if there are any yellow triangles in any category and if you find any, uninstall the driver, Check the manufacturers website for the correct driver then reboot the system.

Please report the offending driver and results of your SFC scan?

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 13, 2021
Even identical kits can have mismatch issues and manufacturers warn you of this.
It's always best to select a single kit the size you need at a frequency your MB and CPU supports that are tested and listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are going to work.

If you are able to boot into safe mode then access Device Manager and look see if there are any yellow triangles in any category and if you find any, uninstall the driver, Check the manufacturers website for the correct driver then reboot the system.

Currently running Memtest86. Will report back once this is complete. Due to work/time constraints, this may be awhile.

-Thanks again for your help

Jul 13, 2021
No probs. When you run Memtest 86, run 4 passes and if there are any errors at all then RMA the full kit.
Awaiting your results.:unsure:
Memstat86 test completed overnight. I didn't get a chance to look at the specifics of the results, but overall "FAILED". I tested all four sticks at the same time, (and considering I didn't look at the details of the results - which may have included this information) I do not know which stick was faulty (or all of them for that matter... ). I'm happy to run the test again if there is useful information contained or would you recommend I save my time and just RMA the two kits of RAM?

(haven't had a chance to boot into safe mode to check drivers or run an SFC scan)

-Thanks

D

Deleted member 14196

run the same test on each stick of ram individually now to determine who is failing

anything over 0 errors is BAD ram

Memstat86 test completed overnight. I didn't get a chance to look at the specifics of the results, but overall "FAILED". I tested all four sticks at the same time, (and considering I didn't look at the details of the results - which may have included this information) I do not know which stick was faulty (or all of them for that matter... ). I'm happy to run the test again if there is useful information contained or would you recommend I save my time and just RMA the two kits of RAM?

(haven't had a chance to boot into safe mode to check drivers or run an SFC scan)

-Thanks

Corsair are very good with returns of faulty RAM. When you return the kit you can request crosshipping to avoid downtime. They send a full kit of the same specs and with your credit card details they await your RMA. You just need to identify the faulty culprit and use the other 8gb module albeit in single channel mode.

Jul 13, 2021
Corsair are very good with returns of faulty RAM. When you return the kit you can request crosshipping to avoid downtime. They send a full kit of the same specs and with your credit card details they await your RMA. You just need to identify the faulty culprit and use the other 8gb module albeit in single channel mode.
Sounds pretty good to me. Currently working on identifying the stick that's causing my issues! 1/4 complete. #2 running now.

1/4 PASSED. [EDIT: 3/4 passed]

-Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021
Complete all 4 tests and they all passed... I will be looking into drivers and doing an SFC scan. Why all sticks passed but failed together is beyond my understanding. I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Jul 13, 2021

SFC scan complete. Message as follows:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Drivers checked in safe mode. Drivers with yellow triangles include:
  • Generic PnP Monitor
  • Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
  • Generic software component
  • Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface
  • Intel(R) iCLS Client
  • Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
  • Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization Infrastructure Driver
I figured I would list the drivers as you requested prior to uninstalling without guidance.

-Thanks

Jul 13, 2021

Hi Colif,

Just following up on the MiniDump results and if you've had a chance to take a look!

-Thanks for your help

SFC scan complete. Message as follows:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Drivers checked in safe mode. Drivers with yellow triangles include:
  • Generic PnP Monitor
  • Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
  • Generic software component
  • Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface
  • Intel(R) iCLS Client
  • Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
  • Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization Infrastructure Driver
I figured I would list the drivers as you requested prior to uninstalling without guidance.

-Thanks
When you have yellow triangles and you have quite a few, Uninstall the offending driver, then google for an update.

Example:
  • Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth driver update.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021
When you have yellow triangles and you have quite a few, Uninstal tthe offending driver, then google for an update.

Example:
  • Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth driver update.
Will do. Thanks again! Update on what I've found: running 16 gigs of the 32 (two of the four sticks) everything runs fine... Not sure what to make of it other than the fact that the ram itself isn't part of the problem considering all sticks passed Memstat86 individually.

Jul 13, 2021
Got it, like you had said before! Lots of progress has been made and it seems like you've helped narrow down the problem to a manageable point for me.

-Thanks you for your time and effort!