[SOLVED] Inconsistent download speeds on steam

I'm no expert when it comes to network and such but from what I can gather my speeds seem really inconsistent, they are between 20MB (not bits) and 100MB this is my speed test results:
https://imgur.com/a/KzUJgAx
I know you can't 100% test your internet speed but I have Xfinity Gig plan, if you need any other info let me know.

Solution
There's no other servers close to me sadly.

Ping and bandwidth is different. Im from Australia and can connect to many servers around the world that could offer more bandwidth in your situtation. My download speed is only 12MBytes/s so here im not starved for bandwidth so the servers im connected to here is fine. But your asking for 100+ MBytes. Try a different server like i suggested.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There are many servers on Steam, maybe try another under download region in settings\downloads.

Time of day can have an affect as well with ISP, your location and the server's location. There's also data bandwidth priority practices depending on game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's no other servers close to me sadly.

Ping and bandwidth is different. Im from Australia and can connect to many servers around the world that could offer more bandwidth in your situtation. My download speed is only 12MBytes/s so here im not starved for bandwidth so the servers im connected to here is fine. But your asking for 100+ MBytes. Try a different server like i suggested.

Solution
Ah I thought it had to be close thanks will update you.

Steam has many servers around the world yeah. Hoping you can snag one that isn't being hammered by a lot of dudes with 100MB+ connections.

Jealous btw ;P
I decided to try out another launcher to see if steam is just having weak servers atm and it was correct I am getting 80-100MB on epic, and now the steam servers are really being hit my speeds are barely hitting 15 MB so I'll have to do some trial and error.

Lol don't be jealous hard to hit them regularly xD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sweet. ISP and your side isn't the problem so that's awesome. Just matter of temperamental servers.

Envious because 12MB/s is max Aussie national broadband connection has to offer. But can't complain really because before nbn rolled out a few years ago, i was on DSL. A whopping 500KB/s lol. Streets behind us already had cable for years but not here so it has been great having something faster.

Only time I've seen 115MB/s is over my lan 😁

Sweet. ISP and your side isn't the problem so that's awesome. Just matter of temperamental servers.

Envious because 12MB/s is max Aussie national broadband connection has to offer. But can't complain really because before nbn rolled out a few years ago, i was on DSL. A whopping 500KB/s lol. Streets behind us already had cable for years but not here so it has been great having something faster.

Only time I've seen 115MB/s is over my lan 😁
Haha yeah seems difficult to be a gamer in AUS

Lately with steam the download speed is the least of the delays and I am many times only getting 30-40MB on the download. It seems to spend most its time sitting in crap like "pre-allocating" and other things but not actually downloading. It then can quickly download a patch but then it will spends 10 times the download time doing it updating or finalizing. You would think the network would be the slow part especially since my gaming machine is all SSD based.

Reactions: AngelTech