[SOLVED] Inconsistent FPS for no reason.

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I recently switched from 60 FPS to 120 FPS. Everything was going great but like three days after, I wake up, and the fps keep switching from 120 to 90 to 80 to 70 or all the way down 40, then they go all the way up again to 90, but they never go up beyond that. It also seems like games do not detect the mouse correctly either now. It happened so randomly because I did not change anything other than the refresh rate and fps cap. My laptop isn't overheating and I have the latest drivers. Please help me!

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
what the exact model of the laptop? or the exact spec?
The model is OMEN By HP Laptop 15-Ce0xx
It has a GTX 1060 6GB, Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM.

I was worried that the issue may have been caused by malware so I ran a virus scan. I got a BSOD saying THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I don't know if I should be worried about that. I also tried uninstalling GeForce Experience and I also got a Blue screen saying DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, but those both times when the laptop turned on again, everything was alright and the fps were working perfectly, when I turned the laptop off and on again it went back to the bad FPS.

I tried every setting in NVIDIA Control Panel. It does seem to reach the FPS limit in the game menus, but once you enter gameplay it can go down as much as 28 fps. I tried with these games:

• Valorant usually has no problem staying at 120, but this one time it only stayed at like 70 fps.
  • Rainbow Six Siege yesterday I was playing it at 120 no problem but everytime I restart my pc its completely random. First restart it was 90 fps, second restart it was 49, third restart it was 200+ and fourth was back to less than 50.
  • Payday 2 is probably the worst being from 25 fps to 40.

I really don't know what to do. All of this happened all of a sudden and I cannot see any explanation. Just yesterday I was hitting 120 on all of my games. This happened out of nowhere and I'm really freaking out.

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I installed MSI Afterburner to see if It could help me recognize the problem and whenever I start playing all the CPU cores stay at 1404Mhz, when I exit a game they go way up. Maybe there is a setting that got changed and now whenever I start playing games the power settings are being altered or something? I don't know what to do.

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I doubled checked and it seems when I play the CPU cores are just at 68-71° but they won't go up from 1404. However, when I stop playing the cores seem to get rid of that limit and are functioning normally again.
Like it seems they are trying to save energy except only when they are not supposed to be saving energy.

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
Ok yeah when I play games the CPU utilization goes full 100% but it drops down to 1404 exactly. When I alt tab twice the game gets good cpu speed for about 1 second until it goes down again to 1404. It's weird because when I'm not gaming the CPU utilization is less than 50% and I think I have it at 2.5Mhz but then when I enter it is 100% and 1.4mhz

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I was doing some experimenting and it totally looks like my laptop is working the hardest when I'm not actually doing anything but when I game it is saving all its resources. It's like its doing the things its supposed to do but inverted this is so weird.