[SOLVED] Inconsistent FPS

Oct 23, 2021
Hi All - I’m a first time poster with pc gaming performance issues that are driving me insane!

I have a Rog Strix 3090 (connected via HDMI to LG CX TV). Operating system is Windows 10, Z590 MSI motherboard, 11900K CPU, 64GB x3600mhz Ram, 750w power supply.

Across all games I am getting unplayable and inconsistent FPS. Sometimes a game will start fine but FPS will degrade to unplayable over varying periods of time. Sometimes a game will start unplayable and not recover. Other times fps will be fine from the start and last a whole session. Oddly enough, i find that if I start and shutdown the pc 5-10 times games boot up and run like a dream.

During all sessions I’m seeing normal gpu, cpu temps and usage. Also I’ve run task manager a few times during a session and can’t see any competing processes. PC otherwise runs perfectly.

In case it’s relevant, when I first built the system the gpu was producing sound distortion over hdmi. I fixed that by instead running sound via an optical cable to the motherboard.

Any suggestions on how I might tackle the problem would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Solution
Corsair 750W RM750 Gold Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold.

Is there an easy way to check if XMP is enabled?

will run afterburner tomorrow and post a screenshot.

THANKS!
RM series from Corsair are one of many that have shown having issues with the transient power spikes the 3000series GPUs have. The RMx are way better handling them and for the 3090 it's recommended AT LEAST 850w.

That being said, you have a very power hungry CPU paired with THE most power hungry GPU. Do you really want to gamble that expensive hardware? Don't get me wrong it's a very good PSU that you have, it's not enough though.

Remeca

Reputable
Thanks. I would have thought if the psu was the issue that the system wouldn’t work at all. I get days when everything works perfectly.
PSU issues can present in lots of different ways. Sometimes a lack of power will cause a system to not boot, or it might shut down under load, or give poor performance or instability. It's a good idea to rule it out, especially since you're running under spec.

Oct 23, 2021
PSU issues can present in lots of different ways. Sometimes a lack of power will cause a system to not boot, or it might shut down under load, or give poor performance or instability. It's a good idea to rule it out, especially since you're running under spec.
Ok - it’s an easy fix so I will try that out with any other suggestions. Thanks.

Oct 23, 2021
Brand and model?

XMP enabled?

Run MSI Afterburner and see what's the CPU usage per core, GPU usage and RAM usage.

THANKS!

Oct 23, 2021
Take a look in the motherboard BIOS or install CPU-Z and find out in the memory tab.

Thanks for your help so far.

XMP was not enabled. However now that I have enabled it in the bios it hasn’t made a difference.

I’ve measured CPU, GPU and RAM usage when performance was poor. You can see the results in the image at this link: View: https://imgur.com/XaBN1bm
. I can see GPU usage regularly hitting 100% and temps hovering at 55.

I’ve also noticed that when performance is poor and GPU usage is high that the gpu starts to make a vibrating sound which stops as soon as GPU usage returns to lower levels (like in the main menu for a game).

Any thoughts?

Oct 23, 2021
Tha
Di you check in task manager if something else is using your gpu? You might be infected with a miner, detects when a game is lunched and starts mining for someone else. Check unusual activity for software in gpu section of task manager.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that isn’t the problem.

THANKS!
RM series from Corsair are one of many that have shown having issues with the transient power spikes the 3000series GPUs have. The RMx are way better handling them and for the 3090 it's recommended AT LEAST 850w.

That being said, you have a very power hungry CPU paired with THE most power hungry GPU. Do you really want to gamble that expensive hardware? Don't get me wrong it's a very good PSU that you have, it's not enough though.

Solution
Oct 23, 2021

Yes I think you (and Remeca) are right. I’ll be replacing it whether it’s the cause of my FPS drops or not.

Oct 23, 2021
Hi all - I finally identified the problem today.

The issue was the PCIe riser cable. Installing the GPU directly to the motherboard had no issues with performance in game.

Hi All - I’m a first time poster with pc gaming performance issues that are driving me insane!

I have a Rog Strix 3090 (connected via HDMI to LG CX TV). Operating system is Windows 10, Z590 MSI motherboard, 11900K CPU, 64GB x3600mhz Ram, 750w power supply.

Across all games I am getting unplayable and inconsistent FPS. Sometimes a game will start fine but FPS will degrade to unplayable over varying periods of time. Sometimes a game will start unplayable and not recover. Other times fps will be fine from the start and last a whole session. Oddly enough, i find that if I start and shutdown the pc 5-10 times games boot up and run like a dream.

During all sessions I’m seeing normal gpu, cpu temps and usage. Also I’ve run task manager a few times during a session and can’t see any competing processes. PC otherwise runs perfectly.

In case it’s relevant, when I first built the system the gpu was producing sound distortion over hdmi. I fixed that by instead running sound via an optical cable to the motherboard.

Thanks!

Thanks!