Question Inconsistent GPU Usage on RTX 4070 Ti ?

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Hello everyone!

Recently I've been concerned with the performance of my 4070 TI in some games. Take for instance Warzone II, the GPU doesn't seem to want to operate at full tilt. Instead, it seems to fluctuate between 70-97% usage all throughout gameplay. Now and then while I play this fluctuation can be noticeable through micro stutters. This also seems to be the case on 128 player Battlefield 2042 servers but my CPU is being much more utilized there (60-70% usage). I have shot a quick video with an RTSS overlay so you guys can see this behavior. It looks like the game is favoring every other core on my CPU? Sometimes that individual core usage can be a little higher than I would like (looking like a bottleneck). I currently am playing at "Extreme" settings on 1440p. Now I would like to note that DLSS is set to quality. When I kick it off the GPU then manages to run at about full usage with the occasional drops. Looking at some other benchmarks on YT it appears people manage to get a consistent usage at 1440P with this card in MW2 with DLSS on. Could the 12900k really have met its match with the 4070 TI in MW2?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! For anyone with a similar setup: do you happen to experience this GPU usage fluctuation on your rig when playing this game?

Capture.png

Here are my specs:
i9-12900k w/Noctua NH-D15S @ stock
32 GB (4x 8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 4070 TI
Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX
Corsair RM850x 850 W
Windows 10
PC Part picker list

Here's everything I've tried to combat this:
  • Updated bios and all drivers
  • Verified game cache and reinstalled game completely
  • Making sure XMP is on (Tried both XMP I and II)
  • Moved games to an SSD
  • Running latest (at current time) Nvidia Driver - 531.41
  • Using DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver
  • Fresh install of windows 10
  • Tweaking power settings: Prefer max performance in nvidia control panel and high performance in windows
  • Game mode is enabled, also tried both enabling and disabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
  • The only overlays I have enabled is shadowplay and MSI w/ RTSS. Xbox gamebar, discord, etc are all disabled.
  • Applying a light OC to the 4070 TI
  • Closing out all of my background apps
  • Reseating the card
  • Both 8-pin connectors have a dedicated port on the PSU

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Recently I've been concerned with the performance of my 4070 TI in some games. Take for instance Warzone II, the GPU doesn't seem to want to operate at full tilt. Instead, it seems to fluctuate between 70-97% usage all throughout gameplay. Now and then while I play this fluctuation can be noticeable through micro stutters. This also seems to be the case on 128 player Battlefield 2042 servers but my CPU is being much more utilized there (60-70% usage). I have shot a quick video with an RTSS overlay so you guys can see this behavior. It looks like the game is favoring every other core on my CPU? Sometimes that individual core usage can be a little higher than I would like (looking like a bottleneck). I currently am playing at "Extreme" settings on 1440p. Now I would like to note that DLSS is set to quality. When I kick it off the GPU then manages to run at about full usage with the occasional drops. Looking at some other benchmarks on YT it appears people manage to get a consistent usage at 1440P with this card in MW2 with DLSS on. Could the 12900k really have met its match with the 4070 TI in MW2?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! For anyone with a similar setup: do you happen to experience this GPU usage fluctuation on your rig when playing this game?

Capture.png

Here are my specs:
i9-12900k w/Noctua NH-D15S @ stock
32 GB (4x 8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 4070 TI
Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX
Corsair RM850x 850 W
Windows 10
PC Part picker list

Here's everything I've tried to combat this:
  • Updated bios and all drivers
  • Verified game cache and reinstalled game completely
  • Making sure XMP is on (Tried both XMP I and II)
  • Moved games to an SSD
  • Running latest (at current time) Nvidia Driver - 531.41
  • Using DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver
  • Fresh install of windows 10
  • Tweaking power settings: Prefer max performance in nvidia control panel and high performance in windows
  • Game mode is enabled, also tried both enabling and disabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
  • The only overlays I have enabled is shadowplay and MSI w/ RTSS. Xbox gamebar, discord, etc are all disabled.
  • Applying a light OC to the 4070 TI
  • Closing out all of my background apps
Hey there,

Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, this might help.

Reactions: itzhalo

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Hey there,

Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, this might help.
Hey! I actually did not consider this upon updating my bios. Gave it a shot but unfortunately am still getting the same performance. I really appreciate your suggestion though.

Was bored and tried Windows 11, same performance but hey at least I get to learn this new OS ;-;

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Happy Easter guys I appreciate your responses!

Have you tried taking out all USB cables/devices, apart from Keyboard and mouse. If you have mouse software, I'd uninstall that too and see if it persists.

Good thinking, I uninstalled Glorious Core which is the software I use for my keyboard. Since I have a Zowie mouse my peripheral software thankfully stops at my keyboard. Unfortunately no change with just those two plugged in and software uninstalled.
Also is Asus Armoury Crate active or on the system? This can cause all sorts of issues,

I am guilty of using Armoury Crate in the past on the current install of Windows im on, you caught me there lol. Since it felt like a bunch of bloatware I ended up uninstalling it a few months back. Its nice how Asus includes an uninstall tool...sort of ironic :)
Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. It might help point to what if anything is underperforming.
Sure thing, here's the benchmark from today: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60659547

GPU does seem to be running a bit on the lower end. I think this is because when I ran this I closed Afterburner and RTSS to keep things basic which put the 4070 TI back at stock. The two harddrives in my setup aren't really utilized much when I game. For intensive games I like to install them on my 970 Evo. They are primarily there for singleplayer games that I don't mind waiting decades for them to load.
I've also since reverted back to Windows 10, in some cases I noticed the usage dropping down to 55-65% which never happened back on 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead