[SOLVED] Inconsistent HDD speed, is it dying?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello
I have a Seagate Barracuda 4TB since October 2019, it was a wonderful HDD for the price, speed could reach 250mb/s for the first couple of seconds when copying RAW photos from my SD card, then about 150mb/s average. Beefy enough to store hundreds of RAW and even some not vey demanding games

Unfortunately since 48h , there are big incontinency with files transfer, it started with a video file I recorded and backed up on this HDD, I wanted to put it on my external SSD which usually take files from this HDD at a relative speed of 200mb/s over USB 3.1, but this time the speed was only 10mb/s, I thought it was the USB cable not well plugged, so I tried again but still the speed was very slow, I rebooted my PC, tried again, same speed! I tried the way around by copying a 1gb file to this HDD, it nearly froze my PC, I started the restart procedure but it was stuck in the blue screen of ''restarting'' for 10 minutes, I had to shut it down manually by long pressing the shutdown button of my case.

I then replaced the SATA cable and chose a different SATA port on the motherboard and booted.
I tried at first to copy files from this HDD to my internal SSD, the speed was normal about 150mb/s on average, then couple of minutes later I tried again with the external SSD, bam! 10mb/s transfer speed, I then tried with the internal SSD and it was also 10mb/s
I downloaded both Seagate and WD test tools and tried them both for this drive, they didn't find any error
I ran defragment tool of Windows, after that speed transfer were back to good even with the external SSD, though it would start with 10mb/s for the very first 2 seconds then bump to 150/200mb/s

I already started backing up my RAW photos from this HDD to another just in case.
After that I played Horizon Zero Dawn for an hour without problems with loading time while the game is installed on this HDD.
Note: the last thing I did before the 10mb/s thing occurred was to install and use VMware Workstation
Note 2: No ticking sound coming from the HDD
Note 3: I updated the BIOS to the latest after the problem occurred

So what could be happening to my HDD drive?
Is it dying slowly?
Could it be that VMware is altering the HDD performance even if only its Windows services were loaded in the background?
Could something else in Windows 10 be temporarily affecting drive speed?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
which motherboard are you using?

check the speed with tools like CrystalDiskMark

vmware could limit the bandwidth

more likely windows is just calculating the speed wrongly or the SSD´s cache is full or not enough space is left on it.

I have an Asus TUF B550 Gaming
Will check with CrystalDisk, for now I am running DiskGenius to check bad sectors

What is bizarre is that from the hundreds of RAW photos I copied to another HDD , it never dropped under 100mb/s but large single files of 1gb and more toward an internal or external SSD will have totally random speed, either 10-17mb/s or 200 or 250mb/s

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
which motherboard are you using?

check the speed with tools like CrystalDiskMark

vmware could limit the bandwidth

more likely windows is just calculating the speed wrongly or the SSD´s cache is full or not enough space is left on it.

Here you go

CrystalDiskInfo20210.jpg

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Are the latest amd chipset drivers installed?

check the event viewer of windows for warnings/ errors because of "disk" or similar
try a different sata port and cable

check the temperature while copying

check for firmware updates using "seatools"

Already changed both SATA cable and port

Armory Crate is showing AMD chipset driver as the latest

Seagate is saying there are no new FW for the drive

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Ok so after updating the AMD chipset I tried some transfer of 700mb to 2gb files to the external SSD, things look good now, I have a constant 150-180mb/s
I will launch the sectors fix app, there are a few hundred medium scale average sectors (not bad), better safe than sorry

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
@helpstar

So after further testing t looks like some files like some (not all) MP4 are limiting transfer speed, I tried the same files to be copied from the other HDD and even SSD, it was about 20-30mb/s, but other files even some mp4 the transfer speed is normal for a HDD read = 180mb/s
Now I have another ''problem'' with my Win 10, when I try to eject any external HDD or SSD or SD card reader it won't because ''a software is using the drive''
Could a third party software try to read some of the video files when transferring them, making the the transfer itself slow?