Question Inconsistent PC freezes

Mar 9, 2019
Build and general info
I will attach links to the parts i used and to the external hardware i am using as well. (Build) (Headset) (Mouse) (Keyboard). As i was building the computer everything was going fine and in fact it all ended up fine. I booted and installed windows without any issues. I installed all the drivers i could think of that i would need and i proceeded to install any games or other accessories that i needed. Currently the background programs that boot on start and normally run almost all the time are as follows: Steam, Discord, Google Chrome, Twitch.tv desktop app, Corsairs drivers program, Logitechs G700 drivers program/Mouse options changer, Steam, and some small very minor programs. Most of the time when the problem occurs its when i'm playing a game or watching a video of some sort. It used to happen once a day or so until i got my second monitor. Now it happens pretty frequently. Its inconsistent too so i don't know how to test it or where to go from where i'm at.

The problem itself
When i'm just playing or doing normal things on my computer everything runs super smooth and its fine. In fact i get above 60FPS at all times on almost any game running at very high settings. Then all of the sudden EVERYTHING will freeze the entire computer locks up for between 1 and 5 seconds. Then it will unfreeze and for the most part act as nothing has happened and that its completely fine. The game or videos will continue and ill keep on with my business.

When this first happened i thought that something might be super demanding on the computer or that one of my parts may be defective or even overheating but i'm also not so sure about that. Everything seems ok part wise and i didn't see any programs really over drawing on the parts on the computer. The temperatures on the parts really seemed to be fine.

Things i've tried
  • Running a PC monitoring software to look at parts temperatures and usage. (HW Monitor)
  • Monitoring things in the task manager
  • Checking Bios settings
  • Updating drivers
  • Closing background programs
  • Lots of googling leading little to no results
  • Stress testing programs (only ran for 10 minutes a piece as i don't have experience with them)
  • Changing to a wired internet connection, although i didn't think this was the issue

In addition to all these i have also asked other Computer Science majors for ideas and asked my community of online friends to see if anyone else might have some ideas. Most people would give me the same ideas which were things I've already tried and that didn't work.

There are a few things that i thought might be the issue but i haven't been able to appropriately test because of lacking the knowledge to test them. When i was building my computer i notices that there was a spot that it looked like a power cable could have gone into but i didn't have a cable that would fit the spot so i left it open to see if it would still turn on or run. It did and didn't seem to have any issues. I thought that if it was a big deal to leave it unplugged the computer probably wouldn't have turned on in the first place so i didn't worry too much about it. I have notice that when i plugged in the second monitor that the issue seems to happen a bit more often. One monitor is plugged in with DVI and the other is plugged in with Display port. I've never installed an M.2 SSD before either and so when i did at first i didn't put it in 100% correctly but it went in and didn't seem to have any issues. I noticed it was incorrect though and so i fixed it. It has my windows install on it and i though perhaps i could have damaged it when installing but again i feel if that were the case it just flat out wouldn't work. The other two hardrives that i have installed in the PC are scavenged from a previous build and so they are a bit older but they run perfectly fine as far as i know. I never had any problems with them in the past so thats a small chance. Another idea is maybe i just flipped a setting somewhere that i shouldn't have that is causing issues probably more specifically in the BIOS.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the freezes.

You can also use Resource Monitor to observe system performance. You may spot some problem there as well.

Mar 9, 2019
Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎3/‎9/‎2019 6:52 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffffb986e385d460
Parameter 2: fffff8013e34e718
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 12d8
OS version: 10_0_17763
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

This is what i found in the reliability manager.