Question inconsistent performance with Radeon 7

EatMyPizza

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2013
I have a Radeon 7 with a i9 9900k and in BF5 sometimes FPS is a pretty steady 100fps most of the time (capped) all ultra with AA turned down a notch, and then other times, it can barely stay above 80 fps on the SAME maps. The performance will continue to be off until the PC has been powered down and restarted, and even then, it doesn't always fix it. Sometimes, It will just go back to normal like a few days later or something. So weird. I have checked for things running in the background, and nothing that shouldn't be.

It's basically a 20 fps difference. When it's running good, it will stay above 90fps no matter what is going on, even on the most demanding maps, and is usually between 95-100, when it's running bad, it's jumping from like 78 to 92 ish and staying in the low 80s most of the time.

this seems to be limited to only bf5 as games like Division 2, run consistently, all the time. So maybe it's the game? This is at 3440 x 1440.

Last edited:

EatMyPizza

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2013
gpu temp?
make and model of the psu?

With the fps capped at 100, it never goes beyond 70 degrees or 98 degrees junction temp. ( The Radeon 7 isn't supposed to throttle untill like 110-115 junction).

Power supply is EVGA 850 g3

I should also add that when it's running good, it will continue to run good no matter how long the gaming session is. So, if I play the game for 5 hours straight, it will be fine the entire 5 hours. However sometimes going into the game, the performance is off, and it stays that way, only fixable by a hard reboot, and that doesn't even always work.

Last edited: