Inconsistent Start-up(boot) and random BSODs

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
I have had this build for about a year now. When I first started using the computer there were no problems whatsoever. The first couple months when starting up the computer nothing would show up. This would happen 2 out of 10 start-ups. As time passed towards having the computer for about a year I would get Random BSOD's, Computer would not start-up from sleep, and start-ups would be more inconsistent 5 out of 10 times. During the start-up there is a beep, fans turn on, keyboard turns on,everything seems to work. Except the screen would stay black.

I have searched for a solution all over and all the answers given were all different.

-My outlet gives enough power.
-PSU is sufficient
-CPU is properly seated (properly applied cpu cooler and arctic cooler)

-GPU is properly seated.
-All power connectors (gpu,cpu cooler, etc) connected
-Well seated Ram sticks (tested for faults)

I have reformatted the computer to a clean Windows 7 multiple times to see if it was software problems.

Drivers were also ALL updated and reflashed. OLD drivers were not existent in new format.

I have no idea what this problem might be.

I do have my cpu overclocked from 4.0 Ghz to 4.2 with REALLY safe temps and no increase in CPU voltage. Tested Stresses with multiple stresser programs over night, completely working. (no problems in beginning of year)

I'm going to get my paycheck soon, not sure what the problem might be so I need to find out the source of the problem.

~COMPUTER SPECS ARE IN MY SIG~

Solution
MB's can be tricky. You could have a bad ic or component. Also a slight crack in the solder or a bad solder point. Are all the standoffs installed (just asking, I am sure you did it right). But the thing is you say and feel you have verified everything but the cpu and MB. Of the 2 the MB is more likely. Your report says it was perfect for a few months after being built. Then it started to have the events. Their frequency increased over time. Something changed and that change was progressive over time. As I remember you have other computers. You might try swapping parts around.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
First thing set all hardware values to default (No O.C.). See if it makes a difference. Check each stick of RAM one at a time in the first slot only, using MemTest. Set you voltage and timings manually in the bios to factory default values (some times the auto settings are not correct). If each stick checks good in the first slot put a stick in the next slot and rerun Memtest. Continue like this until all memory and slots have been determined as good. Do the events occur when only Windows and the hardware drivers are loaded? No other software? Have you checked the power saving settings? Set them all to never to test the system. Depending on your reply's, this may be a software issue as well. If so you will need to trouble shoot that using a selective start up procedure to find out what the conflict is. BTW check device manager to be sure there are no hardware conflicts of any kind. When you reinstalled, did you install the chip set drivers again?

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013

Already did the memtest check as stated the ram sticks are fine.
Tried with no overclock multiple times. with correct voltage settings (overclocker for years)

All NEWEST (non beta/stable drivers installed) after format all chipset drivers installed. Not boot up items. Checked msconfig for possible programs conflicting.(none to start up after format anyways.)
Power saving settings are always set to gaming mode. And I'm not sure about the power saving check. Never heard about that one.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If I understand, with a clean install of windows and all drivers and settings at default, you still get the events. No other software running but windows, right? If so then the two most likely candidates are the PSU or the video card. If you can swap them out for an alternate it would be the way to go. As to the psu it is sized ok but may be going bad. The only way to test them is under load and most shops do not have the means to do this. Just checking output voltage unloaded is not what you need. Most likely I say it is the psu. These are common symptoms of one with some issues. GL I know this is frustrating. You seem knowledgeable and can understand it is a trial by elimination problem to solve.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Have you tried using msconfig in a selective start up mode? Using only the windows required items? Oh two more things sort of basic: Is windows fully updated (run windows update until no required or suggested ones present)?; and are you using any for of firewall or av? I would guess not because we are dealing with a a clean windows only installed system right? Am I reading correctly that you are using bot an ATI and an Nvidia video card in the same system?

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
All updates are downloaded, selectively deselected certain updates as I already downloaded the newest drivers.
Yes I am running the gtx 670 on a 1080p screen and the ati 5770 on second screen.

Tried without one graphics card on fresh format to see if it was a problem with two completely different gpu drivers interfering.

and Yes again on the selective start up.
On fresh format no programs that could conflict is started up
I even hid all MS services and disabled remaining to make sure as well.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Let's look at his again: As to hardware you have proofed out: memory, video card(s), and psu. That leaves you with cpu and mb. Software seems not to be the issue(?). I will figure you have updated the bios and are running the latest. There is not much else here. When you say there are no other programs that could conflict, what other programs are installed. The reason I ask is ya never know. Just had a client who's comp would not shut off. Always said waiting for a background program. Turned out to be the skype updater was set to notify only but he almost never used skype so had not opened it to get notified. The dam updater kept polling the system trying to notify. Any way MB or cpu only hard stuff left?

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
I checked all hardware.
The cpu for any bent pins, fitting correctly, applying thermal paste correctly (thin layer, dot method/ line method)
snuggly cpu cooler with working connected cooler.

and mother board. hmm it could be the mother board but not sure. I didn't see any defects and all the power connectors and onboard connectors are correct.

I'm a bit of ocd when it comes to pc and making it perfect and clean as possible.

As to the motherboard software, it is reflashed to the latest version as well.

As for the selective start up programs the only few programs would be from the graphics card drivers ex: ccc (catalist control center) nothing else.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
MB's can be tricky. You could have a bad ic or component. Also a slight crack in the solder or a bad solder point. Are all the standoffs installed (just asking, I am sure you did it right). But the thing is you say and feel you have verified everything but the cpu and MB. Of the 2 the MB is more likely. Your report says it was perfect for a few months after being built. Then it started to have the events. Their frequency increased over time. Something changed and that change was progressive over time. As I remember you have other computers. You might try swapping parts around.

Solution

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
I also heard the sata cable could also cause this problem. Have you ever heard of the problem before? One of the sata connectors on my mobo are loose, but I'm not entirely sure if this could be the problem because I would think if it could connect more than half the time the connection between the two couldn't be the problem. Same with it causing the bsod.

The m5a97's don't have a very good history in it's durability. Hmm. I'll try to switch out the mobo as you suggested. I guess I have to push back on getting an ssd :S

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Did a bit of research; the MB has 6/SATA6gig ports all connected to AMD SB950 controller. You can try moving the cable between port banks. Looks like one set of 4 and one set of 2. It is a long shot but yes a loose connection could develop increased resistance and could be seemingly intermittent because of heat (expansion/contraction) and vibration. A bad connection could cause weird behavior for sure. It might be as simple as a new cable or removing and reinstalling the cable. While you are at it, make sure all connections are fully snapped into their sockets. Swap around the cable before changing out the mb...less work:)

TRENDING THREADS