Question Inconsistent WiFi & Ethernet Speeds despite trying many fixes ?

santo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Hey everyone,

I've been grappling with an internet speed puzzle that's been tough to crack, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Here's what's happening:

I've got a Sagencom F@st 3890 V3 router, a Lenovo Laptop (Thinkpad) , and Desktop PC with mobo MSI H310M PRO-VDH (MS-7B29) (U3E1), and I'm signed up for a internet speed 1000 Mbps internet plan (meaning peaks of 1000 Mbps and 300 Mbps for wifi)

When I directly connect my Lenovo laptop to the router using an Ethernet cable, I'm getting a sluggish 60 Mbps – a far cry from the speeds I'm supposed to have.

Interestingly, when I switch to WiFi on the same laptop, I'm getting a boost – speeds are ranging from 250 Mbps to 300 Mbps, with occasional spikes hitting 500 Mbps. (the speed that I should get when using wifi according to the company)

Now, here's where things get a bit tricky:

My desktop uses a TP-Link WiFi dongle via USB (AC600 Nano wireless (5.8 Ghz / 2.4 Ghz), I also have a "Non-Nano" TP link same model. This is in order to connect to wifi since my motherboard does not come with this. Also a Network adapter Pci Express Tp-link Tg-3468 to connect the ethernet cable.

Despite connecting my Desktop PC to wifi and ethernet cable my connection is quite low, my goal is to reach more or less 800 Mbps with my Desktop PC (wich I did some few times by then the modem start blinking some lights - the upload arrow icon first, Then the other download arrow icon followed by the @ icon. Finally all the lights stabilizes and the speed drops to 90mbps - 120mbps)

I've been trying to tackle this issue head-on:

• I replaced the router twice to rule out router-specific problems.
  • I've tested out different Ethernet cables multiple times to eliminate any cable issues.
  • Technicians have paid me visits five times in a bid to identify and resolve the problem. They claimed signal problems (but never I had an issue with my phone - with a consisten 250 - 300mbps)
  • I usded two different WiFi dongles on my desktop (mentioned above) in differnet USB ports (front and rear)
  • I've also tried combating potential interference from neighboring networks. My Desktop PC is just closed as 20 cm to the router. My laptop one room distance I have 500 mpbs peaks)
  • I tried with different coaxial connectors for different signal ranges but no success
Despite all these attempts, my desktop's Ethernet and WiFi speeds continue to lag behind while my laptop's performance remains quite solid

With remote work on the line, this situation is getting frustrating, especially since I don't have any other internet options in my area.

So, I'm considering upgrading my motherboard to one with integrated WiFi capabilities? Something simmilar my Lenovo Thinkpad has? . Do you think that could potentially solve this issue?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post. And thanks in advance !

• I've also tried combating potential interference from neighboring networks.
For wifi, do you mean that you performed an analysis of the channels being used in your neighborhood to see if there's interference? Is your router set to transmit your wifi signals on a fixed channel which you selected or is it set to Auto whereby it skips around to various channels on its own which would result in varying performance?

Personally I set my router to transmit on the lowest channel in each band, e.g. 1 or 36, which in my experience provides the strongest signal. But you would have to see if your neighbors are using those. You could try that anyway and see if using a fixed channel forces your neighbors whose routers are set to Auto onto another channel leaving you alone on channel 1 or 36.

My desktop uses a TP-Link WiFi dongle via USB (AC600 Nano wireless (5.8 Ghz / 2.4 Ghz), I also have a "Non-Nano" TP link same model. This is in order to connect to wifi since my motherboard does not come with this. Also a Network adapter Pci Express Tp-link Tg-3468 to connect the ethernet cable.
Do not connect wifi and wired ethernet to same network simultaneously (on same computer).
If you're using ethernet, then disable wifi.
Same - if you're using wifi, then disable ethernet (or disconnect ethernet cable).

Last edited:
Why do you have a add-in ethernet card, does the one on the motherboard not work ?

Wifi is much harder issue to solve because it depends on your house. If you have the option to use ethernet then that is what you should concentrate on making work correctly first.

What is very strange is you have ethernet issues on both your laptop and desktop. This mostly eliminates the end device as the problem. It either means it is the port on the router or it is the cable.

I would first check the status display on the etheret port and see what it says the connect speed. You generally should see it say 1000mbps or 1gbit. In your case I suspect you will see 100mbps.

These type of issue are almost always bad cables. The second problem is there are massive amounts of fake ethernet cable sold that does not meet the specs so even though you bought a new cable it might not actually be a ethernet cable. The most common fake cables you see are those flat one. These can have major issue with some equipment and even more if the cables are long.
You need only cat5e but the cable must be pure copper with wire size 22-24

TRENDING THREADS