Question Inconsistent Wifi Speeds

Jul 11, 2020
Hi All - First time posting here

I recently upgraded my router/modem to avoid renting the equipment. I went with the Netgear R6250.

I am subscribed to Xfinity for speeds up to 200 mbps. Yesterday we had a technician here to fix some issues we were having with their hardware so I don't believe this to be an issue with anything on their end. With their rented router - I never got speeds close to what I pay for - but the connection was at least consistent.

With the new router, when it is working properly - it works great and I get really good speeds. But at random times the internet will slow down to extremely low speeds (<5 mbps) or even just drop the connection. This will occur for long periods of time (1-2 hours). I have tried troubleshooting the channels I am set to but believe this is already optimized. I can't seem to get consistent speeds.

I have the router on the main level of the house and it is a relatively small house. This is the only hardware I currently have in the setup. I have had it setup for two days and I am already noticing this issue happening repeatedly. I am looking for any solutions, recommendations, or ideas on how I may further troubleshoot this issue. Would buying separate hardware for the modem and router individually improve on this issue? Thank you!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All - First time posting here

I recently upgraded my router/modem to avoid renting the equipment. I went with the Netgear R6250.

I am subscribed to Xfinity for speeds up to 200 mbps. Yesterday we had a technician here to fix some issues we were having with their hardware so I don't believe this to be an issue with anything on their end. With their rented router - I never got speeds close to what I pay for - but the connection was at least consistent.

With the new router, when it is working properly - it works great and I get really good speeds. But at random times the internet will slow down to extremely low speeds (<5 mbps) or even just drop the connection. This will occur for long periods of time (1-2 hours). I have tried troubleshooting the channels I am set to but believe this is already optimized. I can't seem to get consistent speeds.

I have the router on the main level of the house and it is a relatively small house. This is the only hardware I currently have in the setup. I have had it setup for two days and I am already noticing this issue happening repeatedly. I am looking for any solutions, recommendations, or ideas on how I may further troubleshoot this issue. Would buying separate hardware for the modem and router individually improve on this issue? Thank you!
You need to verify that it is a WIFI issue by connecting via a wired connection when the WIFI is not functioning correctly. Without a wired connection, you can't be sure the source of the problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS