Inconsistent Wireless Connection!

LizS

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have been having a longstanding problem with my home wireless network. We having 6 laptops connecting wirelessly (ethernet connection has zero problems) and everything seems fine (connection is excellent, speed is good) and then out of nowhere we will not be able to get on the internet, while it still says we are connected, or it will go to limited connectivity which results in the same problem--many times we have figure out it is because too many people are streaming or downloading.
The only solution that seems to work for a limited period of time is turning our router off an on. The time periods that this solution works for vary from a day to a few minutes--sometimes turing it off an on several times inside on an hour!
I have already been able to get a replacement router because linksys could not figure out the problem and our ISP can see no connection problems, yet we still have this problem. We have tried to update our firmware, but that doesn't seem to help either. ANY help or suggestion would be great.

we have a linksys gateway model no. WC200

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
the brutal answer is stop everyone from downloading torrents on all the machines (of the same thing many times) and just run them from one machine.

the video streaming should be fine as its just one connection but my routers always falling over with multiple torrents running, so just calm it down a bit and it should last longer.