Inconsistent wireless signal

fasteddie911

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hello,
I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and a few weeks ago my wireless connection started to become inconsistent, it would randomly drop service or be very slow, and now it has become very inconsistent and slow, all the while the wireless signal would be 4-5 bars. On my windows 7 desktop, often times the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark pops up over the signal strength indicator when its at 4-5 bars. I've tried changing to 2 different routers and its the same, and the problem is persistent for all computers in the house. I've connected directly via ethernet to the modem and router and service was fine. There are a few wireless networks in the area, some with quite strong signals, but I downloaded the xirrus wifi inspector and it says I'm not sharing a channel (channel 1) and though I'm ~15ft from the router, the signal is ~65dbm, which seems low and is almost equivalent to neighbor's wireless strength. What's causing this issue? I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'm running out of ideas. Thanks.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I can suggest a few things you can try that may help.
By the sounds of your problem I would think it is an interference problem.
Any signal up to ~70dbm is considered strong.
Use your wireless signal analyzer to see what channels are being used in your immediate area. A nearby wireless signal doesn't need to be on the same channel as you to cause disruption. Use a channel that is least (or not) used in the renge of your router or even set your routr to "auto" channel selection so it can decide on its own. Also move any wireless devices like phones or microwaves etc as far away as possible.
You can also try moving your router altogether to a different place in the house. Possibly somewhere closer to your PC.
If you haven't already reset your router do that, also check for any firmware updates avalable.

fasteddie911

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. So I tried changing the channel, but there are a bunch of different channels being used in my area so I chose the one of few that aren't in use. I also relocated my router to my desk, about 3ft from the computer. I am stilling getting dropped signals. I tried connecting the ethernet directly from router to computer and even that gets slow, inconsistent and sometimes drops out. Any other suggestions?