[SOLVED] Incorrect ChannelPlus H616 & H628 110 Connector Wiring

Jibsman57

Reputable
I am working on a customer's home with ChannelPlus H616 Telephone Master Hub and ChannelPlus H628 Ethernet Hub 110 blocks wired to Cat6 cables going throughout the house.
The cables are numbered with corresponding numbers where the wires come out throughout the house. I don't believe all were tested before sheetrock was put up.
I think the electrician wired the 110 blocks incorrectly.
Here is a photo of the whole box. Note the numbered wires and numbered / locations written above and below.
SlVJUqU.jpg

This is a diagram I found on the web. It appears to be the same for Telephone as Network.
Dark color then light color. IE Brown then Striped (light) Brown
17l6dV0.png

This is a photo of the actual telco 110 block connections.
wQl0fh5.png

Note the colors are reversed. Light color then Dark color. I think they wired this Dark / Light (striped) backwards.

1st mistake. Wiring wrong.
2nd mistake.
This is a ChannelPlus H616 Telephone Master Hub. The phone jack from the telco is plugged in to the master plug. Some are actually used as telco connectors to some rooms. The others should be connected to the H628 Hub, but are not. See below.
From the H616 Manual
85qHByJ.png

Actual
0bFVMF7.jpg

3rd mistake: Some of these cables go to places where Network is required, not telco.

There is a ChannelMaster H628 below the H616.
IUnMMUM.jpg

I think the owner should buy another H628 Hub and I should move the wires that should be used for network from the H616 to the second H628 hub.
I'm not sure if I should rip everything out and start over, punching the wires down in the correct order (or make the electrician do it to correct his mistakes).

MY NEXT QUESTION:
When connecting the RJ45 connectors in the various rooms for ethernet, I would use RJ45-T568B colors.
If the wires are correctly punched on the H628 and network cables from a network hub connected to the H628 RJ45 connectors on top, I can just follow the wiring colors for T568B. Is this correct?

I realize this a lot of stuff to go through. I really appreciate any help and suggestions you have.

Solution
The photo is hard to see but I think is says it is using 568A so you would need to use that color pattern on the far end of the cables.

The swapping of the 2 wires in a pair in general does not seem to cause a issue. It has been many years since I look at the details but the 2 wires just connect to the terminals of a small transformer. This is purely a coil of wire in the transformer.m so I am not sure what effect it would have. What is being measured on ethernet is the voltage difference between the 2 wires, its not like one of the wires is ground or something. I have seen this done wrong many times and it still function properly.

Anything connected to the h616 will only run as a phone line. That patch panel will not...

kanewolf

Titan
I am working on a customer's home with ChannelPlus H616 Telephone Master Hub and ChannelPlus H628 Ethernet Hub 110 blocks wired to Cat6 cables going throughout the house.
The cables are numbered with corresponding numbers where the wires come out throughout the house. I don't believe all were tested before sheetrock was put up.
I think the electrician wired the 110 blocks incorrectly.
Here is a photo of the whole box. Note the numbered wires and numbered / locations written above and below.
SlVJUqU.jpg

This is a diagram I found on the web. It appears to be the same for Telephone as Network.
Dark color then light color. IE Brown then Striped (light) Brown
17l6dV0.png

This is a photo of the actual telco 110 block connections.
wQl0fh5.png

Note the colors are reversed. Light color then Dark color. I think they wired this Dark / Light (striped) backwards.

1st mistake. Wiring wrong.
2nd mistake.
This is a ChannelPlus H616 Telephone Master Hub. The phone jack from the telco is plugged in to the master plug. Some are actually used as telco connectors to some rooms. The others should be connected to the H628 Hub, but are not. See below.
From the H616 Manual
85qHByJ.png

Actual
0bFVMF7.jpg

3rd mistake: Some of these cables go to places where Network is required, not telco.

There is a ChannelMaster H628 below the H616.
IUnMMUM.jpg

I think the owner should buy another H628 Hub and I should move the wires that should be used for network from the H616 to the second H628 hub.
I'm not sure if I should rip everything out and start over, punching the wires down in the correct order (or make the electrician do it to correct his mistakes).

MY NEXT QUESTION:
When connecting the RJ45 connectors in the various rooms for ethernet, I would use RJ45-T568B colors.
If the wires are correctly punched on the H628 and network cables from a network hub connected to the H628 RJ45 connectors on top, I can just follow the wiring colors for T568B. Is this correct?

I realize this a lot of stuff to go through. I really appreciate any help and suggestions you have.
Do they actually close a cover on this ChannelMaster Panel? If not, I wouldn't mess with the ChannelMaster parts. Get a standard 19inch mount that will take standard keystone jacks. Bring your ethernet ports to that patch panel.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about your specific role or involvement.

This:

"I'm not sure if I should rip everything out and start over, punching the wires down in the correct order (or make the electrician do it to correct his mistakes).

If you start doing things and there are still problems - perhaps with those untested wires in the walls, then the electrician could claim that you caused the problems.

I would document the problems as you see them and let the homeowner deal with the electrician.

Especially if it proves out that there are any code violations involved - often dependent on location and licensing.

Even for low voltage applications.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

The photo is hard to see but I think is says it is using 568A so you would need to use that color pattern on the far end of the cables.

The swapping of the 2 wires in a pair in general does not seem to cause a issue. It has been many years since I look at the details but the 2 wires just connect to the terminals of a small transformer. This is purely a coil of wire in the transformer.m so I am not sure what effect it would have. What is being measured on ethernet is the voltage difference between the 2 wires, its not like one of the wires is ground or something. I have seen this done wrong many times and it still function properly.

Anything connected to the h616 will only run as a phone line. That patch panel will not function as a data because all the similar color wires are actually hooked together where on the H628 each punch down only goes to the rj45 jack above it. They are all independent ports.

Solution

Jibsman57

Reputable

Anything connected to the h616 will only run as a phone line. That patch panel will not function as a data because all the similar color wires are actually hooked together where on the H628 each punch down only goes to the rj45 jack above it. They are all independent ports.

Yes it does say TIA-568A. Good eye. I'll see if I can get a good test using the 568A colors, reversing solid with striped (or dark with light colors).

Jibsman57

Reputable
Not sure about your specific role or involvement.

This:

"I'm not sure if I should rip everything out and start over, punching the wires down in the correct order (or make the electrician do it to correct his mistakes).

If you start doing things and there are still problems - perhaps with those untested wires in the walls, then the electrician could claim that you caused the problems.

I would document the problems as you see them and let the homeowner deal with the electrician.

Especially if it proves out that there are any code violations involved - often dependent on location and licensing.

Even for low voltage applications.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

You're right. I'll show the owner what's wrong and let him deal with it; I'm going to try getting a network signal with RJ45-T568A, reversing the dark and light colors where the wires come out in the rooms. We'll still have to get another panel for the network cables.

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough but keep yourself protected.

Personally I would do nothing without specific and independent (not based your recommendations etc..) written direction from the homeowner.

(Cynicism conceded but no apologies for that or otherwise.)

But my view is from afar in more ways than one.

You are "boots on the ground" and that is what I will concede to.

CYA (apologies) applies.

Jibsman57

Reputable
Do they actually close a cover on this ChannelMaster Panel? If not, I wouldn't mess with the ChannelMaster parts. Get a standard 19inch mount that will take standard keystone jacks. Bring your ethernet ports to that patch panel.

Hi. Not sure what you mean "...close a cover on this ChannelMaster Panel?"
I'm not really a Network Guy. I would think what they would have wanted when the house was being built is the 110 connectors all tied together to a single input, like a switch, instead of each 110 connecting to a separate RJ45 jacks.

I think I found what I was looking for: https://www.amazon.com/Q-AC1015-12Port-Network-Interface/dp/B002MXVAIO

Last edited:
There is not magic wiring that will replace a switch. You pretty much must have one All the patch panel does is make it a little cleaner so you don't have cables coming into the panel and put rj45 end on them and not really be able to mark which room they go to. A lot of people do it that way to save money

When you connect them all together that is only used for a phone. Ethernet connections are all point to point connections and must have electronics on both ends of the connection.

I would be suspect of the unit you linked. That ones takes the wire on the back. Is there going to be enough room to run the wires between the metal back panel and this new patch panel. The ones you currently have both the punch downs and the jacks are on the same side of the board. This tends to be thinner since the board can sit tight against the back of the cabinet.

These metal boxes are always a challenge to know what will fit and what does not. Some manufactures use custom hole spacing so only their add in boards work. Unless you have very clear specs and have measured it may not work.....of course you can use the method I did for mine and just drilled new holes to match the boards I purchased.

Reactions: Jibsman57