Question Incorrect psu pin out for new motherboard

Jul 21, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm pretty fresh in the build department and have come accross an issue with my build.

I verified all the parts I purchased for my build, but at the last minute the motherboard I purchased was not going to arrive, and I chose a different model, after my other parts had already arrived.

I have a:

PSU:
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan 10 Year Warranty Compact 140mm Size Power Supply

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING

The motherboard has an EATX 8 pin 12v and a 4 pin and the PSU has an ATX 8 pin and 4 pin.
Is there a way to get this thing going with what I have, is there an adapter I can purchase, or do I need a new psu?

Any advice would help.

Thank you

Jul 21, 2019
Please forgive me my ignorance. I did find one cable that is correctly marked "CPU", which is the split 4/4 that will make an eight, and it does fit, but the plug pattern does not match. It does fit without forcing, but doesnt the plug have to match the socket?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Please forgive me my ignorance. I did find one cable that is correctly marked "CPU", which is the split 4/4 that will make an eight, and it does fit, but the plug pattern does not match. It does fit without forcing, but doesnt the plug have to match the socket?

For the most part yes, the plug pin orientation has to match but sometimes the plug hole can be square and the cable can be a half hex shape. If it fits without force then it's right.

Have a look at a Pcie cable and compare the ends. Pcie and cpu are the only similar looking cable but are keyed differently to avoid making a mistake.

That is the correct connector.

An 8-pin's connector does not have the same "shape" as two four pins. So when you put two four pins together to make an 8, it should fit, but the "shapes" of the connector may not be the same. But a "D" shaped connector will fit into a square so there should be no issue.

This is a CPU power connector. It's labeled "CPU". The port on your board is labeled for CPU power. You're overthinking this.

Jul 21, 2019
Thank you. My understanding grows.

A part of my hesitence was related to seeing that the new motherboard, according to pcpartpicker, was not compatible with the psu. Then I checked seasonic and did not find a listing of them being compatible either.

Thanks again

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh ok. 750w model and up has 2x (4+4). 650w has 1x (4+4).

Pcpartpicker flagged the psu as lacking the additional 4pin, overly exaggerated issue. 12 pins in total, the single 4 is optional but do need the primary 8pin socket connected. The additional 4pin for overclocking.

Reactions: jonnyguru