Sep 26, 2020
I have a strange issue here. I have two sticks of RAM:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 2666MHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB 2666MHz

When I insert the sticks in the two slots of the motherboard, in the BIOS I can see correctly both of them and also the total amount of RAM (24GB) no matter how many times I restart the computer and no matter the slot each sticks is placed in. But when I load the OS (Ubuntu 20.04) the total amount of RAM it shows is incorrect and if I restart the computer, the total amount I see in BIOS is incorrect too, as follows:

- If I insert 8GB in slot A and 16GB in slot B, in Ubuntu it shows as 2 sticks of 8GB each (total of 16GB) and in BIOS total RAM of 16GB.

- If I insert 16GB in slot A and 8GB in slot B, in Ubuntu it shows as 2 sticks of 16GB each (total of 32GB) and in BIOS total RAM of 32GB.

I mean, now I don't mind the "free" 8GB of RAM, but any insights on what might be the issue?

The motherboard is Asus PRIME A320M-E.

Sep 26, 2020
Sorry but since when is mixing ram an issue?
I have mixed ram several times with no problems until now.
And as stated in the motherboard's manual:

You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.

So according to the manual there is no problem mixing ram sizes, the first 8GB of each stick would work in a dual-channel mode and the remaining 8GB will be in a single-channel mode.
But it's not what is happening.