incorrect VRM, can I repair the server ?

hi all

When a bad VRM is used on an HP netserver LC3, can it be repaired ?

The server had a P2 CPU and a correct VRM, everything was working
fine. Some spare parts were found, and tried on this server.

This server has been started with an incorrect VRM, for pentium pro.
It starts with this VRM, SCSI disks are running, but the screen
remains black. The server has started but is unusable.

And going back to the correct VRM, it does not work anymore: same
thing as with the incorrect VRM.

Then can we repair this server, are there some fuse to be changed ????
or shall we put it to trash ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Mik

There is a reasonable probability that the motherboard has failed due to use of
the wrong VRM. SCSI and IDE disks often spin up even if the motherboard is
completely dead. If you have a Power On Self Test (POST) card to insert in a
PCI slot, it would reveal the cause of the failure of the system to start
properly. A typical POST card shows voltages supplied to the motherboard in
addition to the digital readout of the POST code, emitted by the BIOS to
indicate progress through the POST. If you power up the system and the POST
card shows NO POST code at all, that would be a good indication that the
motherboard has failed completely... Ben Myers

On 9 Nov 2004 08:38:34 -0800, varlog2002@yahoo.fr (Var Log) wrote:

>hi all
>
>When a bad VRM is used on an HP netserver LC3, can it be repaired ?
>
>The server had a P2 CPU and a correct VRM, everything was working
>fine. Some spare parts were found, and tried on this server.
>
>This server has been started with an incorrect VRM, for pentium pro.
>It starts with this VRM, SCSI disks are running, but the screen
>remains black. The server has started but is unusable.
>
>And going back to the correct VRM, it does not work anymore: same
>thing as with the incorrect VRM.
>
>Then can we repair this server, are there some fuse to be changed ????
>or shall we put it to trash ?
>
>Many thanks in advance for your help.
>Mik

Normaly thise "just" kills the processor, try another proc, with the right
VRM

Best regards

Johnny