Increase cooling after upgrading components?

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
I am upgrading an AMD A10 system. I have a new 650W psu, a geforce gtx 750Ti and G. Skills RAM. (I have a new Coolermaster gemini heatsink and fan but I'm afraid to take the MB out - never done it)
Question is: will these changes affect the A10 APU? Will I have to increase cooling to it which would mean R&R of the MB?
Also, can I add this Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Internal 2.5" (MZ-75E500B/AM) SSD to my system? Is it compatible?
Thanks so much!

Solution

The changes you are making has no direct affect on CPU temperature. However, you may get to playing games and your CPU cannot keep up with the GTX 750 Ti and be at 100% load more often than before. So the cooler may be a good idea. If you wanted to wait and find out for sure if you need it you could do that.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Exactly what what are you doing?

If you are just updating PSU, GPU and RAM then you don't have to remove the motherboard.

If you want to move the mother board to a new case, you can do so without removing the Heatsink. Just don't put any strain on the HS and you won't break the seal.

Yes, you can add that SSD with a SATA cable. You might be stuck with SATA II instead of SATA III depending on what your motherboard supports.

Are you needing to install your new CPU cooler? Or is that already installed? If it's already installed you don't have to remove it and nothing needs to be done with it.

You dont necessarily need to increase the CPU cooling after upgrading those components.
Since you already have an aftermarket cooler you should use it.. it's pretty simple:

-unplug everything from the motherboard
-unscrew the standoff screws and get the motherboard out
-remove the old CPU cooler
-replace the current mobo bracket with the one from the new cooler
-clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohool and apply the new thermal paste(small blob in the center or a vertical line across the CPU heat spreader)
-screw the new cooler into the motherboard
-align the mobo with the standoffs and screw in, then plug everything back... that should be it.

The SSD will be compatible with your motherboard for sure.

Just out of curiosity what mobo do you have?

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018

Well, I have the cooler but it's not in the system yet. If I don't have to install it I'd rather not.That's what I was wondering -do I have to increase cooling to the cpu to handle the changes I am making.

The changes you are making has no direct affect on CPU temperature. However, you may get to playing games and your CPU cannot keep up with the GTX 750 Ti and be at 100% load more often than before. So the cooler may be a good idea. If you wanted to wait and find out for sure if you need it you could do that.

Solution

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018

I believe I have the Lenovo H50-55 SPP0H34450