[SOLVED] Increase ext4 partition size

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I have a 16Gb pen drive in ext4 file system which is divided into two portions
1) 2.94 GB 2) 11.7 GB
I want to increase the first partiton size by taking the memory from the second partition.
How to swap memory between these two partitions in a pendrive ?
I'm using Windows and using Paragon Linux file system software to access the partitions.

Solution
I apologize. Because you were working with the ext4 file system and Paragon Linux, I assumed you had experience with Linux. A LiveUSB allows the user to boot into an operating system (e.g. Linux) without installing it on their system. In this case, it boots directly from a USB flash drive.

Since you already downloaded the GParted Live ISO, I will walk you through the steps from creating the GParted Live bootable flash drive to using the GParted application:

Creating the bootable flash drive:
  1. This process requires the use of a USB flash drive. Any data contained on the drive will be erased so backup the data if necessary.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive.
  3. Download the utility Tuxboot from the...

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Here is one way of doing this:

1. Boot into a Linux LiveUSB/LiveCD.
  2. Run the program GParted.
  3. Right click on the partition and select the resize option.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.
As an alternative to step 1, GParted has its own LiveUSB called GParted Live:

https://gparted.org/livecd.php
Can you please elaborate the first process. I don't know much about PC. I downloaded the gparted software and its an iso file. How to run this software in windows 10 ?

I apologize. Because you were working with the ext4 file system and Paragon Linux, I assumed you had experience with Linux. A LiveUSB allows the user to boot into an operating system (e.g. Linux) without installing it on their system. In this case, it boots directly from a USB flash drive.

Since you already downloaded the GParted Live ISO, I will walk you through the steps from creating the GParted Live bootable flash drive to using the GParted application:

Creating the bootable flash drive:
  1. This process requires the use of a USB flash drive. Any data contained on the drive will be erased so backup the data if necessary.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive.
  3. Download the utility Tuxboot from the following: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxboot/files/
  4. Tuxboot does not require installation. Run the program.
  5. Select the option Pre Downloaded.
  6. Select the option ISO.
  7. Click on the ". . ." button and select the ISO file you downloaded previously.
  8. Under Type, select the option USB Drive.
  9. Under Drive, select the drive letter assigned to your USB flash drive.
  10. Click OK to create the bootable flash drive.

Booting into the flash drive and using GParted:
  1. In the BIOS, set the boot order to USB HDD or equivalent as first boot.
  2. After the system restarts, it may ask you to press any key to boot into the flash drive.
  3. Follow the instructions from the following link to walk through the initial setup: https://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=gparted-live-manual
  4. Insert the USB flash drive that you want to repartition.
  5. Run the program GParted.
  6. Right click on the partition and select the resize option.
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Solution