Question Increase in core clock is decreasing my fps

Mar 20, 2019
When I increase my core clock of my gpu it decreases my performance only way to improve it is to set the power at max with everything else stock.I can't figure out why.
My rig:
RX 570
Ryzen 5 2400G
8X2 2400ghz RAM
MSI B450 PRO-M2 motherboard
Seasonic 520W

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Did you check to see if your GPU is actually running at a higher frequency while gaming?

I'm guessing that you're at or near the power limit even at stock clocks, so increasing clocks further just makes it power throttle harder. Increase power limit and try undervolting a bit. That should give you some power headroom to possibly increase the frequency.

Mar 20, 2019
Did you check to see if your GPU is actually running at a higher frequency while gaming?

I'm guessing that you're at or near the power limit even at stock clocks, so increasing clocks further just makes it power throttle harder. Increase power limit and try undervolting a bit. That should give you some power headroom to possibly increase the frequency.

Tried and checked everything.Overclocking gives me the same performance no matter what I do

Log your core frequency and voltage as well as GPU-only power draw with GPUz while you're gaming under both settings (stock and OC). Compare the two scenarios for each statistic.

You're going to have to get away from "Auto" voltage to give yourself more power/voltage budget. Then you'll be able to OC and maintain the clockspeed you set. Set "Frequency" to "Dynamic" and "Voltage" to "Manual" in AMD WattMan.
Have a read through this thread where I explained the process to someone else, along with Freq/Voltage targets.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
Log your core frequency and voltage as well as GPU-only power draw with GPUz while you're gaming under both settings (stock and OC). Compare the two scenarios for each statistic.

You're going to have to get away from "Auto" voltage to give yourself more power/voltage budget. Then you'll be able to OC and maintain the clockspeed you set. Set "Frequency" to "Dynamic" and "Voltage" to "Manual" in AMD WattMan.
Have a read through this thread where I explained the process to someone else, along with Freq/Voltage targets.
Okay so I tired undervolting my gpu and it works.The question now is how far can I go.
RX 570

Each GPU (and CPU) undervolts different amounts. If you're using the frequencies and voltages I put in that other thread, you should be pretty close to the lower limit. But just like you tested to ensure the voltages i provided are stable for your GPU in the first place, you can lower voltages more and test again to see how far your particular GPU will go.