[SOLVED] Increase SSD capacity in a gaming rig

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I'm remotely helping my grandson increase the SSD capacity in his gaming rig. We're looking at a couple of options that will work but there is one option that we're struggling to find hardware to make it work and we're looking for suggestions.

Here's what were dealing with:
-Gigabyte B450M DS3H Motherboard
-there isn't a PCI expansion slot available (i.e all are used or covered)
-one 500GB NVMe SSD installed in the one M.2 connector on the MB
-he wants to increase the storage capacity to 1TB. (Samsung 970 EVO Plus with M key edge connector)
-we're looking for an option to reuse the original 500GB SSD for a total SSD capacity of 1.5 TB.

The computer case has two brackets to mount a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

We're looking for a 2.5" form factor adapter to mount in the case that will convert the 500GB SSD (M key edger connector) for connection to an SATA port. (We recognize the data transfer speed degradation).

We can only find 2.5" adapters that accommodate a SSD with either a B or B&M key edge connector not an M key adapter.

Does anyone know if there is a 2.5" adapter that will accommodate an SSD with an M key edge adapter and then convert it for connection to an SATA port.

Solution
His parents have an external HDD that can be used for cloning. However, it is not a Samsung HDD.
Doesn't need to be.

You create an Image, not a clone, and recover that Image to the new drive.

Thusly:
1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier...
Does anyone know if there is a 2.5" adapter that will accommodate an SSD with an M key edge adapter and then convert it for connection to an SATA port.
None that I am aware of.
It's the conversion of NVMe to SATA (not M.2 to SATA) that is the issue. Closest I can see is the NVMe to U.2 interface - but that doesn't help you.

If you don't need the 500GB to be speedy then you could pick up a small NVMe enclosure and hook it up to USB 3.0.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Jay's solution is the simplest. But I take it the drives are already purchased?

You will still need a type-C to USB 3.0 header (and that might not work either)

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Type...keywords=nvme+enclosure&qid=1632850640&sr=8-4

No idea if that would actually work. Still that first bit of kit would let you clone the 500GB drive to the 1TB and use it as the main disk.

Put the larger drive in, wipe and sell the 500GB drive or use it in a different system entirely would be my advice. SATA SSDs for bulk game storage is perfectly fine, 2TB drives aren't that bad in price either.

-he wants to increase the storage capacity to 1TB. (Samsung 970 EVO Plus with M key edge connector)
If you absolutely want to install another NVME drive, then only way to do this (without changing motherboard)
is with M.2 to pcie adapter card.
Install it into second PCIE x16 slot. This slot operates at PCIE x4 mode.

A6V8S2006172zxqD.jpg

Easier way would be getting 2.5" sata SSD instead. Samsung 860 evo 1TB (2.5" variant) or Crucial MX500 1TB (2.5" variant).

img-1.png

lv-860-evo-sata-3-2-5-inch-ssd-mz-76e1t0b-eu-backblack-89128838

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you absolutely want to install another NVME drive, then only way to do this (without changing motherboard)
is with M.2 to pcie adapter card.
Install it into second PCIE x16 slot. This slot operates at PCIE x4 mode.

No available slots. I suppose a riser cable could be used.

I suppose it depends on what is in those slots. If there is a wireless network card or something in there, there are some decent USB ones that could replace an internal one.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm remotely helping my grandson increase the SSD capacity in his gaming rig. We're looking at a couple of options that will work but there is one option that we're struggling to find hardware to make it work and we're looking for suggestions.

Here's what were dealing with:
-Gigabyte B450M DS3H Motherboard
-there isn't a PCI expansion slot available (i.e all are used or covered)
-one 500GB NVMe SSD installed in the one M.2 connector on the MB
-we're looking for an option to reuse the original 500GB SSD for a total SSD capacity of 1.5 TB.

The computer case has two brackets to mount a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

We're looking for a 2.5" form factor adapter to mount in the case that will convert the 500GB SSD (M key edger connector) for connection to an SATA port. (We recognize the data transfer speed degradation).

We can only find 2.5" adapters that accommodate a SSD with either a B or B&M key edge connector not an M key adapter.

Easiest thing to do is just buy a 1tb 2.5 inch SSD, format it and assign it a drive letter, make a folder called games and redirect downloads their.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

Reactions: Corwin65

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

There is already a 500GB NVMe SSD installed and he wants a 1TB NVMe SSD which he has already purchased. From experience, I know that every year we want more HD/SSD capacity and I'm encouraging him to keep the 500GB SSD as additional capacity. It's just a matter of the best way to install it.

The PCIe riser cable is an intriguing idea. I hadn't thought of that and will pursue it.

We had thought of replacing his LAN card with a USB version to free up a PCIe slot. However, my past experience with a USB WiFi dongle has not been good. I see lots of them for sale. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good model. (Some of his gaming is on line so he'll need good WiFi speed.)

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
USAFRet,
I respect the skill and helpfulness of moderators and those who offer help. This is my first time dealing with an NMVe SSD and appreciate the learning experience. Because of that I'm not sure that I understand your post.

Here was my thinking:
-my grandson wanted to increase the size of his primary drive to 1TB
-the installed SSD was a 500GB NMVe SSD
-there is almost no difference in price between an NMVe SSD and 2.5" SATA SSD of the same size
-the NMVe SSD is much faster than the SATA HDD so it seems best to replace the old SSD with a new 1TB NMVe SSD
-if the old 500GB NMVe SSD was going to be displaced, why not reuse it as additional storage. (He'll probably want more storage in the next year)

What am I missing?
Extra money and complexity, for no performance gain.

Wanting/needing more drive space is normal.
Trying to force fit the wrong drive into this for no real gain is counter productive.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. I would leave the OS drive on the 500GB. Add other drives for more space.
  2. See #1
  3. Add in whatever adapters you need. $$.
  4. "faster', in sequential speed. In games, not so much.
  5. See #1.
If the system had a second native M.2 port for this 970, then no problem. Slap it in and move on.
Once you start adding adapters, buying a different WiFi device...then things get messy.

just return the 1TB NVMe drive and get a nice 2-4TB SATA III 2.5".

as others have already stated/implied multiple times;
you are wasting time & effort attempting to add an additional extension card.

you will get absolutely ZERO performance increase in-game switching from a nice 2.5" SSD to an NVMe M.2 drive.

keep the current 500GB M.2 drive as the OS & application drive.
use a new SSD as a games drive and possibly for extra storage.

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
just return the 1TB NVMe drive and get a nice 2-4TB SATA III 2.5".

as others have already stated/implied multiple times;
you are wasting time & effort attempting to add an additional extension card.

you will get absolutely ZERO performance increase in-game switching from a nice 2.5" SSD to an NVMe M.2 drive.

keep the current 500GB M.2 drive as the OS & application drive.
use a new SSD as a games drive and possibly for extra storage.

I do hear you but I'm dealing with my teenage grandson. I've explained all of this to him but he is adamant that he wants a 1TB SSD as his primary drive. In order to do this, we need the adapter so that we can (at least temporarily) have both the new and old SSDs attached so we can clone the old to the new. No matter what alternative that I give him, he doesn't seem to want to deal with both a C: & D: drive.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm assuming that you mean that the system can't support multiple NMVe drives because there is only one M.2 connector. However if an adapter is installed, a second NMVe SSD will be accommodated. Correct?
You can buy a adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m.2+pcie...973465&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6gu5n74faq_e

You will not be able to boot the PC from that drive.

You also loose the WIFI card. USB wifi is usually just bad I would look into a power line kit depending on where you live.

EDIT just seen your post if he only uses the new drive then you get to keep the WIFI card.

USAFRet

Titan
I do hear you but I'm dealing with my teenage grandson. I've explained all of this to him but he is adamant that he wants a 1TB SSD as his primary drive. In order to do this, we need the adapter so that we can (at least temporarily) have both the new and old SSDs attached so we can clone the old to the new. No matter what alternative that I give him, he doesn't seem to want to deal with both a C: & D: drive.
You can 'clone' without an adapter.
Yes, this is possible, but not the way you think.

How much space is consumed on the current C drive?
Do you have some USB external thing, of sufficient free space to hold that? Can be ANY type drive,

I do hear you but I'm dealing with my teenage grandson. I've explained all of this to him but he is adamant that he wants a 1TB SSD as his primary drive
i would just leave it up to him then to research and try different products and let him learn the hard way that ignoring experienced builder's advice and being stubborn like this usually leads to further issue, frustration, and possible money loss down the road.

there is nothing but positive outcome from adding a SATA 2.5" drive for games and leaving the OS on the M.2 NVMe.
the biggest being that when/if experiencing any major issue with the OS you do not need to also wipe all of your game installations to fix it.