[SOLVED] Increase SSD capacity in a gaming rig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I'm remotely helping my grandson increase the SSD capacity in his gaming rig. We're looking at a couple of options that will work but there is one option that we're struggling to find hardware to make it work and we're looking for suggestions.

Here's what were dealing with:
-Gigabyte B450M DS3H Motherboard
-there isn't a PCI expansion slot available (i.e all are used or covered)
-one 500GB NVMe SSD installed in the one M.2 connector on the MB
-he wants to increase the storage capacity to 1TB. (Samsung 970 EVO Plus with M key edge connector)
-we're looking for an option to reuse the original 500GB SSD for a total SSD capacity of 1.5 TB.

The computer case has two brackets to mount a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

We're looking for a 2.5" form factor adapter to mount in the case that will convert the 500GB SSD (M key edger connector) for connection to an SATA port. (We recognize the data transfer speed degradation).

We can only find 2.5" adapters that accommodate a SSD with either a B or B&M key edge connector not an M key adapter.

Does anyone know if there is a 2.5" adapter that will accommodate an SSD with an M key edge adapter and then convert it for connection to an SATA port.

Solution
His parents have an external HDD that can be used for cloning. However, it is not a Samsung HDD.
Doesn't need to be.

You create an Image, not a clone, and recover that Image to the new drive.

Thusly:
1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier...

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
You can buy a adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m.2+pcie...973465&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6gu5n74faq_e

You will not be able to boot the PC from that drive.

You also loose the WIFI card. USB wifi is usually just bad I would look into a power line kit depending on where you live.

EDIT just seen your post if he only uses the new drive then you get to keep the WIFI card.

That's exactly the option that he has chosen. We're waiting for the adapter to arrive from Amazon.

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
i would just leave it up to him then to research and try different products and let him learn the hard way that ignoring experienced builder's advice and being stubborn like this usually leads to further issue, frustration, and possible money loss down the road.

there is nothing but positive outcome from adding a SATA 2.5" drive for games and leaving the OS on the M.2 NVMe.
the biggest being that when/if experiencing any major issue with the OS you do not need to also wipe all of your game installations to fix it.

He is fairly new to the technical side of building/upgrading computers. (He built the computer with me helping in the same way). In my view, it would be unproductive to "throw him into the deep end" to fend for himself. Our process, has been iterative. Without getting into a lot of detail, he told me what he wanted to do and had a suggested solution. He asked for my opinion and help. I gave him a few alternatives. We discussed the pros and cons and he chose what he wanted to do. When it comes to installing the new SSD, he will do it with me on Skype to lend a hand.

Overall it's a learning experience for him and he is learning.

Plus, I'm enjoying working with him.

In a similar vein, working with NMVe SSDs is also a learning experience for me and all of you in this thread have been a great help.

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who is posting!

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
You can 'clone' without an adapter.
Yes, this is possible, but not the way you think.

How much space is consumed on the current C drive?
Do you have some USB external thing, of sufficient free space to hold that? Can be ANY type drive,

Yes. I'm aware of that but I'd like this initial experience for him to be as straightforward as possible.

His parents have an external HDD that can be used for cloning. However, it is not a Samsung HDD.

I had to change the HDD in an older laptop of mine. I used two different cloning programs and the resulting cloned drive failed to boot. I spent so much time trying to resolve the issue that I ultimately did a fresh install of Windows in the new HDD. I never did find out what the problem was and I didn't want to risk taking my grandson through the same process.

I've used Samsung Data Migration software when cloning to a Samsung HDD or SSD and it works like a charm. However, it doesn't work when cloning to a non-Samsung drive.

Therefore since he bought a new Samsung SSD, that is the most straightforward approach.

USAFRet

Titan
Doesn't need to be.

Thusly:

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Solution

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Doesn't need to be.

Thusly:

4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2

I wasn't aware of this program. This provides and intriguing alternative. I've downloaded it and have it ready to use. I'm sure that this will be useful for me in me future. It's also yet another learning experience.

I love this forum!

THANK YOU!

USAFRet

Titan
I wasn't aware of this program. This provides and intriguing alternative. I've downloaded it and have it ready to use. I'm sure that this will be useful for me in me future. It's also yet another learning experience.

I love this forum!

THANK YOU!
I use that application daily.
It is the basis for my whole backup routine.

One of those things that "just works" (used properly).

dss_cottage

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Doesn't need to be.

Thusly:

4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
Houston, we have lift off! The 1 TB SSD is installed and working. There were two little wrinkles.

First....
We bought an adapter:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YFW5HBN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AKXVBT49GGF3B&psc=1
We temporarily removed the WiFi card, installed the 1TB SSD in the adapter and installed it on the MB. However, Windows didn't recognize the adapter/1TB SSD. After looking at a number of things, we abandoned this alternative.

Second....
We used Macrium Reflect and followed your instruction with one exception. I know that cloning the old SSD would make an exact bit for bit copy but I worried that making an image would only copy the SSD. If it only copied the SSD, then restoring it may not place the boot sector in the right location. (Given your expertise, I should have followed your directions but I couldn't help myself. Sorry about that).

Then, we removed the 500GB SSD and installed the 1TB SSD and used Macrium Reflect to clone from the external HDD to the new 1TB SSD. It worked but Windows File Explorer only showed approximately 500GB of space. Disk Management showed about 500 GB of unallocated space. Then we used Paragon Partition Manager to expand the 500GB into the previously unallocated 500GB.

So, everything is now working and both I and my grandson enjoyed a learning experience.

Thank you so much to USAFRet and everyone else who posted suggestions. You are STARS!

Reactions: USAFRet