[SOLVED] Increase the fan speed on Lenovo ThinkPad X240 ?

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi, I got a Thinkpad X240 laptop recently and when i play Valorant it get's too hot so I want to know whether or not there's a way to increase the fan's speed ?

Solution
Before doing any gaming, open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Use both tojols but only one at a time.

Watch what the system is doing and/or does - first without gaming and hopefully with no overheating or high temperatures.

Then, leave the too window open to one side or the other and play Valorant. Again watch what the system is doing and for any changes in resources, apps, etc. that cause the temperatures to increase.

Consider that the laptop may be running other apps etc. in the background and that adding the load of playing Valorant may be "too much".

Look in Task Manager > Startup for apps, tools, utilities, etc. that may be being launched at startup: for example - backups, AV scans, updates. some utility...

Ralston18

Titan
This ThinkPad?

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd100260-detailed-specifications-thinkpad-x240

How old is the laptop? History of heavy gaming use?

Laptop drive(s): capacity, how full?

Compare the laptop's specs to Valorant's recommended hardware specs.

Has the laptop ever been opened for inspection and cleaning (dust removal)? Could be a failing fan or blocked air flows.

Or something else. What all is running in the background while/when playing Valorant?

The key is to determine the cause of the overheating - not add more cooling....

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
This ThinkPad?
yes

idk how old this is, i'm student of a university and got this laptop from the university , they have checked laptop's parts and also cleaned it and gave it to me. i have replaced the hdd with a 240gb wd green SSD to boost it up. the specification is better than minimum requirement of Valorant (i play on low preset)

Ralston18

Titan
Before doing any gaming, open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Use both tojols but only one at a time.

Watch what the system is doing and/or does - first without gaming and hopefully with no overheating or high temperatures.

Then, leave the too window open to one side or the other and play Valorant. Again watch what the system is doing and for any changes in resources, apps, etc. that cause the temperatures to increase.

Consider that the laptop may be running other apps etc. in the background and that adding the load of playing Valorant may be "too much".

Look in Task Manager > Startup for apps, tools, utilities, etc. that may be being launched at startup: for example - backups, AV scans, updates. some utility software. Or some app simply trying to "phone home".

If nothing is found or otherwise discovered then take the laptop to the University's support center. Hopefully they will be able to troubleshoot the laptop.

In the meantime, as you always should be doing, ensure that all important data (projects, classwork, notes, reports, and so forth) are being backed up.

You should have at least 2 x backups to locations off and away from the laptop. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Remember if the laptop or SSD fail in some way then all could be lost.

Reactions: troyer1234567
Solution