[SOLVED] Increased Captcha Image Verification Causes?

Oct 21, 2020
Hi everyone,

Firstly, let me apologize if this is the wrong subforum. Reading over the titles, I wasn't sure where to put this one. Since captcha is sort of a bot check, I thought maybe this subforum would be the closest one. I am sorry if that isn't the case.

Recently, I've been getting an increased number of image select captchas on many of the usual sites I visit. On some, it is normal to get these once in a while. There are others that are asking for it for what, for me, is the first time, so I have found it to be rather odd. I do sometimes have a few days where there seems to be an increase and then it will stop, but I don't recall having to do it on sites that don't normally employ it, in my experience.

It isn't a huge issue, but I am rather curious if there are possible answers as to why it is happening. I don't need to connect to VPNs for work or anything, and I'm not sure why else the frequency would increase. Of course, it could be happening to lots of other users, but I am not sure. Are the sites detecting something about my setup that makes them think it could be a bot that needs verification?

This has only been going on for a couple of days and could go back to normal soon, but I was just wondering if more knowledgeable people than I could offer some insight.

Thank you for you time, everyone.

Solution
Perhaps the websites are trying/testing various captchas.

Either as new security/anti-bot checks or as an added layer of protection.

May come and go as the bugs are worked out.....

Likewise site problems created a need for restores and getting back to full protection might require additional time. Get the site back then get captchas in place again.

Would not surprise me that if there are bot attacks from certain world locations ( spoofed or otherwise) then those IP's might be directed into a captcha routine.

Just my thoughts....

Ralston18

Titan

Likewise site problems created a need for restores and getting back to full protection might require additional time. Get the site back then get captchas in place again.

Would not surprise me that if there are bot attacks from certain world locations ( spoofed or otherwise) then those IP's might be directed into a captcha routine.

Just my thoughts....

Solution
Oct 21, 2020

Just my thoughts....

Thanks! These are interesting possibilities that certainly teach me more about how and why captchas are put in place; much appreciated!