Question Increased noise and laggy Internet when uploading videos ?

Lost_Soul

Honorable
Jun 12, 2017
I am not entirely sure where the problem may come from but recently whenever I am uploading something to YouTube my PC makes extra noises. I have afterburner to monitor the temperature of my GPU and CPU and the temperature seems normal (high 30 to low 50). I am not sure if the noise is from my HDD, the fans doing extra work, or power supply, I just have no idea. My videos are saved in HDD instead of my SSD.

I also keep getting buffers when I watch Twitch/Youtube during uploads but I thought upload and download bandwidth should be separated? Loading web pages seems normal but they are very fast in the first place so I do not notice much difference there. This part of the problem seems to present since forever ago.

but I thought upload and download bandwidth should be separated?
they are separated, but to have working download, some upload has to be free aswell as there is communication happenning between host and server

TCP is a symmetric protocol which has built-in support for failures through re-transmissions. For every packet of data that has been sent to you from the server you are downloading from, it expects your computer to return an acknowledgement packet confirming that it has received that piece of data correctly. If it doesn't, it will re-transmit it back to the client on the assumption that somewhere along the line it was dropped before the client ever received it.

This acknowledgement can be piggybacked on data the client uploads back to the server, but in the case of HTTP downloads (or most large downloads), there is nothing to send back to the server once the download has started, so an "empty" packet with an acknowledgement in the header will normally be sent. So, to "download" a packet, you must "upload" a packet to "download" the next.

If you saturate your uplink and fill the outgoing buffer of the router full of data, then the packet your returning to the server will be stuck behind all this data. Most consumer connections are asymmetric (downloads are faster than uploads) as they work on the principal that most people will download far more than they upload. This is typically fine: You're looking at around a 35:1 ratio in download packet size verses upload (acknowledgement) packet size, depending on the type of connection you're using.

This has the size effect that when your upload buffer fills, it will take longer to clear than anything in the buffer for downloads at the ISP side. This means your download link will download everything well before the uploads have finished causing your download link to pause as it waits for more data. You effectively reach a point of symmetry: One packet up means you can get one packet back down again and gives you the result you see when trying to download while you upload at the same time.

TCP does have a concept of a "window size." This is the allowed amount of data that the server can send before it requires an acknowledgement from the client to allow it to send more. This can help in some situations, especially with smaller downloads, by allowing more data to be sent in one go, but you are still limited by the returning acknowledgement packets for larger or longer downloads.

So long as one buffer is full (and this will typically be the upload buffer before the download one), the other side of the connection will be limited.

There are some tricks around this, such as smaller buffers (can slow down a connection, but make it more responsive), Quality of Service rules (to better prioritise packets being uploaded, re-arranging the order in the buffer to making larger upload packets wait behind smaller ones), or limiting the upload speed to below the limit to better manage buffers.

Lost_Soul

Honorable
Jun 12, 2017
they are separated, but to have working download, some upload has to be free aswell as there is communication happenning between host and server

So basically when I am uploading it uses all upload bandwidth so my download (watching videos) also get affected?

Also I am not sure if my HDD is dying, it feels like it takes longer to load when I access the HDD and it makes more noises when I upload (not 100% sure from the HDD).

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Also I am not sure if my HDD is dying, it feels like it takes longer to load when I access the HDD and it makes more noises when I upload (not 100% sure from the HDD)."

Data all backed up?

Should be an ongoing process but if not, hopefully it is not too late to do so.

Backup now.